changing to salt pool

ttfn

May 28, 2012
Hello I need help
I'm changing to salt from chlorine free. Ive got all the chems in the right places but I cant get the salt levels up. I have a 24 foot round above ground. I have already added 9 bags of salt and the salt level are at about 1700 ppm but the aqua trol readout says 2800 ppm just don't want to add to much salt.help

Welcome to TFP!

Go by what the AquaTrol says 24 hours after the last time you added salt. Until then it will tend to read lower than actual (it averages the last 24 hours). And ignore whatever reason you think the salt level is 1700. Even if the salt level actually is 1700, it is what the AquaTrol thinks that is important.

Ok made the change and it looks like I have mustard algae. I have shocked it one time with 5 lbs. Of shock on Sat. And I looks like i don't get it all. When can I shock it againand how much.help help

Start by reading the Shocking Your Pool article in pool school as apparently you do not yet understand the process ... it is not an every once and awhile throw some stuff in the pool type of thing.

It is a continuous process of maintaining elevated chlorine levels through accurate testing.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We're not going to talk down to you. Both Jason's gave you good advice. Start by reading Pool School on how to properly perform the shock process and read the article on what we need to know to help you.

It's tough in the beginning but it gets much easier with time and experience. I know it's daunting but stick with us and it gets much easier.

You can and should bring the FC to shock level for your CYA (stabilizer) immediately, but since we don't know what your CYA level is we can't tell you how much bleach to add to get it there. That's why we have to have good test results in order to help you.

Good test results is also why getting a good test kit is imperative. If you don't already have one get one on order and take a sample to the nearest pool store and have them test the water. Don't buy anything until you come back here and post the results you get. Once you've done that we will be much more help.

Welcome to tfp, ttfn :wave:

A quick question, you said in your first post that you were switching from "chlorine free". What does "chlorine free" mean in your case? If it means that you were using another sanitizer such as biguanide (baqua), then we need to know that.

We can only offer advice based on the information provided.

Good catch by linen there. If the conversion was not done properly that could likely introduce problems.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

I said not do the convention talked about above. This is what I did, I uncovered the pool itfrom last season and don't add any chem. Since last season. Then took a sample to pool place and told them was I was doing. They did all the test and I needed to bring up the calcium and alkalinity, so I added salt and was checking the salt level with test strip against te aqua trol ( test strips were lower then aqua trol. The aqua trol was not changing from 2700 ppm so i sent Hayward an e-mail and they said to us the aqua trol not test strips so idid that and then added more salt then turned the swg on .it ran ok for about a week then it went green. So toke a sample to pool place and had water tested. They found the ph was at 8 and the salt was at 4700 ppm. The pool place told me to shock te pool with 5 lbs.of shock so i did that. It turns out that it is mustard algae. That is the history as of now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.