leveling intex pool

I was wondering does the ground directly under the pool need to be level or just the posts. The ground where my pool will go is mostly level, hard to level red clay. I can use post under the legs to take care of any unevenness but trying to level red completely under the pool would be very difficult.

Dude, just level the site, 4" isn't that much soil to move. My install had 8" off one side with a healthy component of clay so I know it's hard, but it's still important for safety.
A level site is the most critical part of the install and will prevent a variety of potential problems in the future.

We had about a 12 inch difference from one end to the other when we started leveling.

As far as your idea for the pavers, problem is the entire area where the liner sits needs to be level. Not just the area where the legs will be going.
Also putting down sand to level the entire area will not work well either. The sand will wash out in no time.

Unfortunately digging down the 4 inches is your only real option. If you can get it within 1/2 in from one side to the other that will normally be good enough

Don't skimp on the leveling. Get the whole area down to the lowest undisturbed soil.

wolfy said:
Anyone have ideas on how to level out red clay soil that clumps like play dough? Sand I believe would just make matters worse, sand and clay is not a good mix together and If I put sand over clay it will just wash out the next rain.
I have done a little digging in high clay soil and I feel your pain. I think using a rake to break the surface and sweep away the loose pieces can work, although it is pretty slow. Since you only have to go about 4 inches this might be doable. If something easy doesn't work, a sod cutter may be able to help you shave the clay surface.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wolfy,

It sounds like you are trying to dig wet clay, if so you are just spinning your wheels, clay is weird material to work with, when wet it will be very slick to walk or drive on, but very sticky lumpy to dig in.

If it is wet, just sit back take a breath and let it dry, then you can use a sharp edged flat tipped shovel to shave the clay a little at a time working from the low side toward the high side, a good garden till to help break it up will also help.

Putting anything between the clay and pool bottom will certainly help, (as long as the clay is LEVEL first), and yes use concrete pavers under the support legs, and make sure they are level with the surface the bottom of the liner will be sitting on.

Here is the result of not placing your pool on solid level ground without pavers under the support legs!
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-sinking-on-filter-side-t45679.html

Trust us when we tell you to take the time and effort to do it right the first time.

We are having to build up our yard for our pool, but we have lots of heavy equipment to work with and even then so far we have over a month of time invested in the project and still not done.

Good luck

i think the floor underlayment may be to thin.
You want to go with at least a 1/2in thick polystyrene foam board. If not thicker.
I agree with what the others have said, it sounds like the clay may be wet.
Here in NC I had to deal with white clay. If it is wet, very slick.. dry it is rock hard like concrete.
But once we got it level & put the polystyrene down, it is a great base for a pool.

My first intex pool I built up the one side by about 3 inches with sand & it was a failure. You really have to dig down to do it right

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.