Newbie who needs help!

May 28, 2012
Hello all! Newbie here. All I can say is HELP! I feel like I'm so dumb. This is a great site, but I have to say, the language is a bit overwhelming for me. I don't talk pool talk yet, so, am really going to need alot of help! I just got done putting up my 16x48 Intex vinal liner pool yesterday and boy it's pretty!
I know I probably shouldn't have, but I shocked it last night with chlorine bleach 6%. I used 3 gals, so my readings today were REALLY HIGH (off the chart)! All I could afford was the hth 6-way test kit from Wal-mart. Having trouble understanding everything. I have read until I'm blue in the face. The one test that tests, I believe, the TA, I didn't understand because it was suppose to turn to red, but I kept adding drops, but it seem to be a bright pink. Is that considered to be red or did I need to keep adding until it turns completely red? I know alot of info all at once, but really need help! PLEASE! And Thanks!

Thank you so much! You really give me hope!! I will let you know that I did test my water as soon as it was full, but of course the Ch/Br test results was not even on the chart, it was clear. Now my ph results was low at 6.8, but as far as the rest, (The TA)didn't know how many drops to put in, cause the liquid was just dark pink and never turned red, so didn't write down reading. It did turn pink after 3 drops, so since I didn't understand, I just shocked the water so I would at least have a reading of chlorine to start with. Hope I didn't mess up.

Test Results after shocking with bleach

Ok, I tested the water just a few min. ago. Heres my results:
TC/ Br =1 2 (dont really know how to read)
PH= 6.8
TA= After 3 drops turned pink, stayed pink even after 11 drops?
Thats all I tested, because my test only has 2 CyA test, and want to wait until other results are more normal. What do I do next? Please Help!

You did ok.
Since your pH was low you need to test and adjust it as soon as the FC comes down to 10 ppm or so. Which should be soon.

As soon as you can read the FC again and get the pH adjusted you can start following the temporary pool startup instructions.

Re: Test Results after shocking with bleach

First, I suggest getting a good, accurate, reliable test kit. The TF-100 or K-2006 kits are better than what you have I strongly suspect.
http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/

The three major items you need to know are your FC, CYA, and pH. I'm not saying the other numbers aren't important, but until we see where those numbers are, accurately, it's hard to help further.

Second, please note shocking is a long process, not a one time addition to your pool.
pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Also need to know your pool type (vinyl, concrete, etc.), volume, etc. The more info you can share, the better!

I see your pH is low, bring that up with Borax, yep the 20 Mule Team stuff from the store. (I prefer using Borax). You can figure out how much with the Pool Calculator. http://poolcalculator.com/

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Ok, trying to listen to your suggestions but dont really understand how to use the pool calculater. Oh, and would it be ok to go ahead and add a chlorine puck to the floater, cause my chlorine is really low at 1 2. or do i just raise my ph first?

How many gallons is your pool? I can use it for you. It's nothing more than putting in your pool's volume, your current pH, and your target pH. It will tell you how much borax to add.

Adding pucks will raise your CYA. I strongly suggest not using pucks unless you know your CYA is low. Just add some chlorox.

I can't tell if you are saying your FC is 1, 2 or 12. I don't know what 1 2 means.

About 60 oz of 20 Mule Team Borax. It comes in a 76 oz box, don't use the whole box. Weigh it out with a kitchen scale. You can dissolve it in a 5 gal bucket of pool water before adding to the pool.

My pool has 6000 gallons of water. I've never tested the cya because my kit only has 2 tests, so I was saving them, but will test if you think thats what I need to do. Remember I'm a big time newbie and this is all weird science to me. Sorry, I'm so much trouble. Oh and My Cl/Br is 1.

You have two threads going with the same question. I've answered your borax question on the other thread. Let's stick to that one because answering you on two different threads is difficult.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.