Balancing Low TA and High pH (Sanity Check)

Jul 2, 2011
I just conducted a water test and my TA is hovering around 50, and my pH is around 8.0. After some reading on the forums, I think I know what needs to be done, but I'd like a sanity check before I start dumping stuff in the pool.

Pool Info:
10,500 gallon above ground (aluminum/vinyl, bottom drain, skimmer, one return)
18-inch sand filter/1hp pump

Plan:
It sounds like I need to bump up the TA using ~25oz-48oz of baking soda (or Alkalinity up if I hate my money) to bring it into the 60-70 range. Then, check the pH again and use a pH Minus to bring the levels down to 7.2-7.8 range.

Questions:
1) How much baking soda should I be adding at a single time?
2) If not all at once, when should I test and add more if needed?
3) Should the baking soda be distributed around the pool edge, broadcast evenly across the surface, or in front of the return?
4) Once the TA is correct, how long before I should add pH Minus?
5) Edit: With the baking soda, are metals something I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance, gang!

Questions:
1) How much baking soda should I be adding at a single time? All of it poured slowly into a skimmer or spread and brushed around the pool...it dissolves quickly
2) If not all at once, when should I test and add more if needed?
3) Should the baking soda be distributed around the pool edge, broadcast evenly across the surface, or in front of the return?
4) Once the TA is correct, how long before I should add pH Minus? Immediately after. You can also use muriatic acid if you like.
5) Edit: With the baking soda, are metals something I should be concerned about? No

I would suggest bringing TA to 100 and then dropping pH down to around 7.4. TA should then be about 80 after you lower pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.