4-in-1 shock and 3" tabs Plus

T

tacoma5050

At the start of each pool season I purchase a 40-lb bucket of 3” chlorine tabs and a 24-lb box of 1-lb bags of shock from my local Costco warehouse. I normally buy just plain 3” tabs and shock, but this year Costco only had these two products both by AquaChem:

AquaChem 3” Tablet Plus:
-Prevents corrosion and metal staining
-Reduces scale formation
-Softens water
-With built in sunlight protector
Ingredients; trichloro-s-triazinetrione 94.05 % Other 5.95%

AquaChem 4-in1 pool shock Plus:
-Reduces organic contaminates
-Clarifies water
-Enhances filtration
-Does not increase ph
Ingredients: sodium dichloro-s-trazinetrione 58.2% Other 41.8%

I’ve had good luck in the past with just plain ol’ tabs and shock, should I give these 4-in-1 products a try, or should I return them and stay with what worked well in the past?

You can see the products here:
www DOT plusequalsmore DOT com/aq/products/

Tacoma,

Both those products contain CYA and, if you've been using similar products in times past, you may have some issues with your CYA being too high. Take a sample of your pool water in and get some thorough test results...especially CYA. You'll get some really good help from lots of folks here but they'll need those test results.

[Ignoring the CYA/stabilizer issue for a moment]: I much prefer to work with products that are simple and do exactly what I want and don't add things I don't need to the pool. For example, if you need a clarifier (contained in that shock product), which is rare, you can always add some. Why pay for clarifier when you don't need it? On the other hand, if the price was right having those extra things in the product isn't likely to cause any serious problems. Just be sure to avoid products that contain copper, which can occasionally cause more serious problems. Neither of those appear to contain copper.

tacaoma5050 said:
At the start of each pool season I purchase a 40-lb bucket of 3” chlorine tabs and a 24-lb box of 1-lb bags of shock from my local Costco warehouse.

Ah, yes, that was me years ago too! Mind you I still have granular 4:1 near empty bucket I use for when my CYA is low, and a dozen or so tabs for vaca. They are good to have around, but no necessarily good for the pool for daily maintenance as the CYA can get >100.

CaryB

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.