Fix or replace filter?

May 25, 2012
Hi all,

I've got an old pac fab filter 24 sq. ft. filter (pic attached) that's failing. I have no idea of the actual age but from the picture and what I know of the house 20 years might be "young". Replacing the guts looks to be over $200 while low end filters new are looking to start a little lower. The valve has been a little "creaky' in the last couple years as well. Anyone have any advice on repair or replace? If replace, any suggestions?

It's an 11000 gallon pool that I've replaced the heater and pump in last couple years and can only guess at the age of everything else (though I'll likely be resurfacing, maybe even digging out in the next couple years. Current PVC is 1.5" but heater can take 2" (so if that's a better direction I one major piece is already there).

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• IMAG0398.jpg
    IMAG0398.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 43
For an 11,000 gallon pool I suggest approx 250 lb sand filter or a 200 sqft cartridge filter or a 48 sqft DE filter. Look for something in those ranges and you'll be better off.

If you can get a part number off that multiport valve, we may be able to suggest a filter that it'll connect right to. That way you won't have to buy that part.

Thanks, Dave.

The valve is looks to be a purex triton 27-1141 (or that's from the only thing that looks like a serial number I can find). It's getting tricky to move so I'm assuming I should go ahead and replace that at the same time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.