PART TIME PRIME LOSS

joel0711

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2010
East Tennessee, 40 miles west of Knoxville Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The last 4 days I have lost prime twice over night. I run 12 hours a day and turn off at night. I've checked my pump basket an hour or more after turning off and it's still full but during the night I've lost prime in pump basket and pipes to pool are of course empty. I've still got water in the liquidator gauge so I dont think there's any problem with it.Liquidator is hooked to drain plug hole with quick connect and I put teflon tape and an 0 ring on it and did the same for the remaining plug. Also put 0 rings on quick connects to liquidator gauge. All appears well with this. I've replaced gasket in basket lid and greased before installing,weir flap in skimmer is closing up when pump is turned off. This very slow intermittent leak down is hard to find. No visible water anywhere on concrete pad for pump and filter... Any suggestions,advise on what to check?? Other than standing gaurd all night ,,,I'm "stumped"....

I had a similar issue and finally gave up. It turned out the psi gauge on top of my filter had cracked the female threads of the filter top just enough to allow the tiniest water leak (which I couldn't see because it went around the back side of my filter) but then let air leak into the system when the pump was off....causing me to lose prime.

What I'm saying is it can be a real PITA trying to find these leaks. If you don't see ANY wet spots, it is surely on the suction side of your system so you just have to get very methodical and eliminate on source at a time.

Just replaced the float on liquidator couple of weeks ago. I do notice that my psi gauge is real slow on picking up the pressure reading when I turn off the pump for a few minutes then turn back on. No water around the gauge area but could it be leaking air from the gauge housing and letting it slowiy losing prime, if so I have a lowe's just minutes away and they should have a gauge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.