New to Site - Cloudy Water

BCannon

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2012
Bowling Green, KY
We recently purchased a home that has a very nice 30,000 gallon L-Shaped pool. I had it opened on May 6th. By using strips I have yet to get a FC reading above zero. The water is very cloudy - can barely see main drain cover in 10 foot end. I have ordered the TF 100 test kit after reading on this site but it has not arrived yet. The best test results I can post now are (from strips):

ph - 7.2
FC - 0
TA - 80
Stabalizer - 20

I''m frustrated because I have had the pool company here several times. Phosphates were off the chart so he added a chemical that created a powder substance on the bottom of the pool - It was vacuumed out the next day. That dropped the phospahate level significantly but the water is cloudy. I have added several lbs of chlorine powder alonmg with the chlorine feeder, yet I still get a FC reading of zero.

Any suggestions for now would be nice as I await the TF-100. Also, after the test arrives, how will I know how much of each chemical to puit into pool?

Welcome to TFP!

I would avoid phosphate remover, it is not required, makes the water cloudy, and is generally a pain and a waste of money. My phosphate level has been in the several thousands for years and I have never had a problem.

You need to shock the pool. See the instructions in Pool School.

I have read that secttion and I still do not understand how to determine how much bleach to put into pool - since my TF-100 hasn't arrived yet. Also, is it accepteble to now shift to bleach after using the powder chlorine? It stinks because I have $300 worth of Zap It on hand.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Ordering the TF100 is the best thing you could have done and you will soon be in charge of your pool.

I suggest you try to maintain an FC of 10, which would be shock level for the CYA of 20.

If you can find a source with better prices for liquid chlorine (about 12%), you should try that as you would be hauling half as many jugs.

Let the PoolCalculator.Com figure the doses for you.

Example: 30 K gallon pool, raising FC from zero to 10 = adding 4 gallons 3 quarts or 6.5 (96 oz) jugs of 6% bleach or,

2 gallons 1 quart 3 cups or 2.4 (128 oz) jugs of 12% liquid chlorine

No problem switching to bleach/liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.