When is it unsafe to swim?

May 26, 2012
Hi All,

Could someone clarify when it's unsafe for me to swim in my private pool? My TF100 is on the way.

Test strips and drops show good ph but chlorine is all over the place, typically on the low end. I'm using an inline chlorinator with some pucks and I'm sure the test kit will have me keep shocking.

Other test strip colors (kind of) match up, but who knows. I got a second set of eyes on them and I think chlorine and a need to shock will be the only issue.

Water is crystal clear, but I'd hate for family to get sick. What's the risk here? I know proper balance is key, but in the mean time . . . ?

You will have to make your own decision since your current test method (strips) is fairly inaccurate.

For safe swimming generally we recommend CC below 0.5 ppm, FC is at or below shock level (for the pool's cya level), ph between 7.2-7.8, and the water being clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.