Circulation trouble

ggenovez

May 27, 2012
Hi all,

I have a HayWard DE filter. that's giving me trouble.

I just disassembled it and removed all the grids and all the grids and reloaded it with DE.

Started off at 12 PSI this morning, and by the end of the day it was at 25 and the flow was so log my SWG was giving a no water error.

This is the second time I've cleaned the DE grids in 2 weeks because of the same issue.

Any ideas?

Thx

Welcome to TFP!

Having a DE filter pressure go up very quickly is common when you open first thing in the spring. The water can accumulate a fair bit of debris, even if it looks very clean. The DE filter catches that debris very effectively, so the pressure goes up fairly quickly.

This can also happen if there is too much DE in the filter.

Thank you for the warm welcomes

So is it just a matter of backflushing until the pressure stabilizes?

FAC 1
TAC 1
PH 8 * just added 4 cups acid
ch 350

Pool has recently turned green because of the lack of filtering and SWG not getting enough water.

It was clear until I did my recent grid cleaning, but I've noticed dirt getting through it. So I might have a cracked manifold or a hole in a grid. I'll hopefuly have time today to take it apart and see what is going on.

Yes, keep an eye on the pressure and backwash or clean out as needed. After a while things will return to normal, sooner if you don't have algae, possibly a while if you do have algae.

If you can't be around to watch the pressure it might be better to switch the main valve to recirculate (if yours has that option), that will keep the SWG happy and keep water moving with no risk of the pressure going up. But you will need to be around to pay attention to the filter at some point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.