Another Pool Skim Review

Lershac

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
Well, I installed my PoolSkim today, and after a full day of use, I am overall happy with the device.

A poolskim is an aftermarket pool cleaning accessory that claims to be an effective skimmer for the pool, and an improvement over traditional skimmers.

We have a large german shepherd mix that absolutely loves our pool. Unfortunately he is a super-shedding dog. For the pas few months since he moved in my wife has constantly been unhappy with the amount of hair floating on the surface of the pool. One day in an hour of skimming I got a double handful of hair. I dont know how he grows it so fast.

So after searching and reading, I decided to order the poolskim and give it a try.

It was around $100, and arrived promptly. Opening the box all sorts of parts and pieces spilled out, it was pretty intimidating.

After sorting the parts and laying them out on the deck, it turned out to be a snap to install, didnt have to cut any pipe or anything. I just removed an eyeball, screwed on the supplied adapter and slip-fitted the pipe and fittings together and connected the poolskim. You may want to turn your pump off while you do this, it certainly is easier not to have to fight the current coming out of the eyeball fitting while you assemble it.

It immediately developed a venturi suction and went to work. To be honest I was pretty skeptical of it, but decided to give it a few hours and see how it did.

Oh My Gosh. It was extremely effective and within two hours had removed every piece of hair from the surface of the pool (about 600 sq ft). I was stunned. The sock had a big ball of hair trapped at the end that built up over time. Very effective.

My only negatives about it are cosmetic. Functionally it works GREAT. Our pool is in neutrals, tans and greys, and the white and blue poolskim just does not visually "go" with the pool at all. I wish they sold it in different colors.

Other than that I could not be happier with the device, and wanted to post a good review so others could benefit in their decision making.

Go For it it.. you wont regret it--I have had mine a year now.. Only thing I can say--the bag is not that good of quality... I did find some filter bags from Mcmaster Carr that is 100 micron and they work great as replacement for it.

I received mine and installed it last week in my 18ft above ground.

The thing is awesome, works exactly as described. And it's very solid, it survived a whole weekend of pool play with my 4 yr old. It even managed to trap Ariel the Mermaid without complaining.

Part of my late Sunday was just sitting poolside watching leaves fall in the pool, floating round and round and eventually being absorbed by The Unit. Very zen.

But I can't decide whether to create a clockwise or counterclockwise flow. As it stands now it's a clockwise flow, and the blue bag is inches from the skimmer.

Should I point it opposite to the skimmer?

The sock had a big ball of hair trapped at the end that built up over time.

Try turning the mesh bag inside out and then attaching it to the POOLSKIM. This makes cleaning and rinsing the bag much easier since you are working with the ‘smooth’ side collecting the debris. If your bag has excess strands of netting, use a pair of scissors to trim them off.

Has anyone experienced any major loss of pool circulation using this?

Circulation does slow a bit since the opening of the discharge side of the POOLSKIM is
rather large. It still pushes quite a bit of water but lacks the ‘force’ an eyeball can provide. You lose the ability to direct the flow up and down, unless you devise some type of diverter.

It is a great product that performs as advertised.

Regards,
-Gary

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.