Heyward 2 cycle pump filter basket drains on high...help !

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hi guys ! Opening my pool this weekend ---so far not the greatest experience.
The pool was looking prettyblue when I peeked under the cover, however upon removing the cover I accidentally dropped a bunch of dirtlyleaves in the pool. ugh
Well after scooping out what I could, I hooked up the filter ans started to run. Seemed ok but it does drip a little where the pump connects to the filter.
When I put it on high speed ( I have a powerflo matrix I believe) the filter basket in the pump quickly empties and I can tell it seems like only air is getting thru.
What could be the issue here ?

Re: Heyward 2 cycle pump filter basket drains on high...help

It's an air leak.
Common places for a suction side leak are the pump basket lid, clean and lube the basket lid o-ring.
The pump drain plugs, remove and reseal them.
The skimmer weir, make sure it operates freely.
The water level in the pool, make sure it's high enough that the skimmer doesn't create a vortex.

Re: Heyward 2 cycle pump filter basket drains on high...help

thanks so much guys. Love how you guys are always present in the forum, even on holiday weekends.
It was the pipe that connects between the pool and the pump. Wasn't tight enough. I created a foot long pvc pipe with a metal insert so I am able to ground the pool water (its my towns code)
The hose that connects to the filter from the pump has a very small drip right at the connection. I think if I disconnect and apply thicker coat of plumbers tape it wont leak anymore.
can run the pump on high with not a lot of issue right now. Just got done vacuuming for two hours. I'm assuming I can get away with the small drip by the filter right ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.