Considering using Borax for the 1'st time

mystar60

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I am going on my second season with my pool and have learned a lot from reading the Pool School area.
My question or concern is I am considering trying Borax this year and was just concerned how to approach getting started.
My levels are:
FC - 8
pH - 7.8
TA - 70
CH - 200
CYA - 0
Salt level - 2800

I read the basics and input the numbers into the Pool Calculator and come up with about 17 boxes of Borax and 4 Gallons of muriatic acid.
Is there anything I am overlooking, or can I just go ahead and do it.
My pool is is direct sunlight throught the day so I understand the importance of the stabilizer. Before I just add stabilizer I figured now would be the time to decide on trying Borax

Thank you

Adding stabilizer is far more important than anything to do with borates.

Borates are considered optional, everything works fine without them, just better with. If you want to add borates, then great go for it. But don't let anything get in the way of adding CYA.

I've been considering adding Borates as well, but like they said, your cya is first order of importance... You can add borates at any time. I bought some last year thinking I would add it, but haven't yet. I think the benefits sound great, just hard to add another chemical to the pool... which I know is already far safer than most of the ones around. :wink:

I just added the CYA, going to check the levels thru out the week and then go thru with it. I cannot thank the members enough for the wealth of knowledge on this website.
For a first time pool owner, this website makes us look like pros. My pool water is very clean and sparkly. When I have guests over the first thing they say is " your water is so clear".

I will keep you posted.

Kevin

mystar60 said:
... My pool water is very clean and sparkly. When I have guests over the first thing they say is " your water is so clear".
Ain't that a great feeling? :-D

I am afraid I have to tell you that you've come down with a condition known as sparklypoolitis. It's real - use the search box, you'll see we have outbreaks quite a bit here.

mystar60 said:
For a first time pool owner, this website makes us look like pros. My pool water is very clean and sparkly. When I have guests over the first thing they say is " your water is so clear".
Kevin

We had some friends over yesterday who had never seen our pool. The first thing out of their mouths was "Wow, your water is really clear, who takes care of it for you?"

:D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.