We've Got Water!

Vandal

Apr 5, 2008
OK, so we've moved closer in the process and are 98% sure of our builder, who is coming over Wednesday to go over a contract. I still have some questions about the equipment. Here is what I'm looking at:

Size: 100' perimeter (about 16x33 with a little added for a beach area/step).
Depth: 4' --> 5' 1/2" --> 4'
Gunite with either PebbleTec or WetEdge
Autofill
Two lights (regular)
Cantilever edge
Colored concrete decking standard salt finish (500 sq. ft.)
Filter: Pentair Quad D.E. 80
Pump: Intellflo 4x160
Controls: SunTouch
Water Feature: 4' Sheer Descent or two 2' Sheer Descents.
SWG: He offered the AquaRite, AquaPure or Intellichlor
Cleaner: Hayward Navigator

I'm thinking of replacing the Navigator with something else because of poor feedback on that model. I'm also tossing out the idea of the Aquarite and going with either the Intellichlor or the AquaPure from Jandy.

All feedback is appreciated!

Attachments

• poolsmall.jpg
    poolsmall.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 1,003
The only thing that struck me was the depth, 4'.

I know with our pool, we really enjoy having the 3' shallow end. Good for when people have kids over, and for running around in.

Not sure of your intended use for the pool though.

We should have an extra 40 square feet of decking to add in around the pool, so that should help give us a little more room on the south end.

The depth is something we're still thinking about. Our goal is more of a sport pool, so we may go to 3 1/2 to 5" 3 1/2, but either way should fit our needs. Plus, it has the big beach area to hang out in.

Ours is 32' long and we went from 3 1/2 to 5 1/2, but we did the deep area at the end instead of the middle.

Our thinking was that by doing it that way, we would have a good size shallow end with a very gradual slope to the deep.

Doing the deep in the middle, which is very popular, seems to make it where the whole pool is a slope. Of course if you are going to play a lot of volleyball, that may be exactly what you need.

We signed a contract the other day, and the PB should start next week. He left a couple of options open for us to choose at a later date, such as a suction side cleaner. I've read some negative things about Hayward's Navigator and am still trying to decide on a different one, perhaps The Pool Cleaner?

Also, I decided to go with the AquaPure system instead of the Intellichlor. We are getting the Pentair 4x160 and the SunTouch, but will the SunTouch work with the AquaPure or will this be separate? I know the SunTouch will interface with the Intellichlor, so I'm actually thinking of going all Pentair for simplicity, even though the PB doesn't seem as big on the Intellichlor as he is on the AquaPure for some reason.

I've read about both systems and am really having a hard time deciding. My PB really likes the AquaPure for some reason. The Intellichlor would save me about $100. The builder is authorized for both systems. If anyone has any input on the reliability of either system I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I've heard that Pentair extends the manufacturer's warranty if you go with all Pentair equipment, so you might consider that as well.

By the way we have the SunTouch and really love it. We've got a QuickTouch remote and can turn the water features on/ off with the press of a button. It also controls the water to the slide. It can also turn on/ off the cleaning cycle and filtering cycle although those are programmed to run automatically so that's not used much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the comments. I've read good things about the Sun Touch, and we don't have a spa, just a water feature and lights so it should be perfect. Our PB is giving us the extended warranties on everything even if we don't get the three pieces of Pentair; it's part of some group that he belongs to that allow him to do that with Pentair and Jandy.

The dig is supposed to start today! We're so excited and nervous at the same time because, other than buying the house, this is the biggest expenditure ever.

The PB came out yesterday and chalked it out for us so that we could check the layout and location before digging. We bumped the beach shelf down a little bit so that we can have more "pool" area, but other than that the plan is the same.

I'm still looking for a type of cleaner and am leaning toward The Pool Cleaner. The PB said he's only installed one and that was at a model home so he's still watching to see how well it works. He offered the Navigator, but I'm concerned about the negative feedback of that unit overall.

And then there's tile to decide for the pool and the raised shelf.

I'll post dig pictures later.

Congrats!! I know what you mean about it being scary and exciting at the same time, LOL!

I have a buddy that has been through 2 cleaners and just bought the new Hayward Phantom Turbo. It's interesting in that it cruises the bottom and sides but also rises to the top and skims the surface for debris. He likes it so far, but has only had it a few weeks.

Chalked

2447800766_8df34db0ca_o.jpg

Dug

2446977059_ecbe699c90_o.jpg

Plumbed

2446977237_b6c144616d_o.jpg

Where's the water? :lol: JK!

Looks good so far!

Good Luck!

The rebar went in yesterday, but I'm not sure if they are finished. They put rebar around the bench opposite of the beach shelf, but there are no forms for steps leading into the pool from the beach. Will they come in today and finish that off, or is that something they do with the gunite?

The corners also are not the same as the drawing, which is also bothering me. Instead of rounded off like in the plan they are basically square right now.

They shot gunite today, and I'll post some pictures soon.

Here's a lesson I learned:

After the rebar was in I thought the raised wall loked a little off and that the bench seat wasn't quite centered. However, I figured it would be taken care of during the gunite shoot, because it's kind of hard to tell from the rough rebar outline. Well, the gunite guys saw that the bench was off so they centered it. But, they didn't notice that the left side of the raised wall was shorter than the right side.

I got home today and thought it was off, so I measured it -- it is 16-inches shorter. I called my PB who said he'd have it fixed. The gunite guys did a nice job with the benches, beach area, corners and steps. I just think the rebar guy was off his game a little.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.