Intelliflow pump install problem - help

Apr 30, 2007
NJ
I just started up my new pump and it is leaking where the threaded pvc pipe goes into the outlet of the pump. The instructions say to NOT use teflon tape but to use pipe joint compound. I did that, and it sat for several days before I started it up - but it leaked quite a bit. Cut the pipe out and tried it with lots of teflon tape, it was better but still leaks. Have never had a problem like this before. Is there some special pipe joint compound I should use, or maybe the threaded pvc connector I have is bad (??) very perplexed.

are you using a threaded adaptor piece that threads into the pump, and then gluing the pipe into the adaptor? just trying to figure out what you have.

if so, is the fitting cracked and you just didnt see it? maybe try again with a different fitting.

my experience with threaded pvc pipe has been better using PTFE/Teflon pipe dope for pvc, it seals great..better than teflon tape i think. loctite, among others make a good product.

Yeah, go back to the pipe dope for anything larger than 1" pvc pipe. Not sure why you had the leak the first time, tho.

I assume you are using a "threaded X slip" adapter and then slip-jointing the pipe. If you can find one, you can use a schedule 80 nipple instead of the adapter. Schedule 80 is of course stronger and seems to have really well-machined threads that may seat a little better in the top of the pump.

I wish I could help other than being pretty definitive about having much better luck with dope than tape on the larger size pipes.

PS - No need to wait to test with pipe dope...just seat the joint firmly (but not like iron pipe) with a pipe wrench and it's ready to test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.