2 speed pump wiring questions (help)

May 27, 2012
Hello all. Nubee here, I have an in ground pool that had a Hayward single speed 115vac pump on it. The pump was seized up, wouldn’t spin. I decided for a nice energy saving 2 speed pump AO smith STS1152R . I ran new wire and conduit 10/3 on a 30 amp breaker. Put in a disconnect switch made for outdoor use. I took the rear canopy cover off the back of the motor to wire it up and Hmmmmm I’m lost. In doing hours of research, I have found out that I can either get an external switch or buy a new canopy cover with a switch built in. been looking at all the wiring diagrams and still lost. I cannot get either option till after Memorial Day weekend as everyone is closed. What is the best way to do this job as I would like to tie in a timer to run the pump for a few hours 3 times a day, at a later time? Is there any way to run this pump on one speed temporarily so I can de-frog my pool? With the use of algae killer and manually stirring 30,000 gallons of water, I have turned it from swamp green to a pretty shade of milky light green. This pool was unattended for 3 years. I pulled as much debris as I could, off the bottom of the pool (3 day job) and drained 75% of the water and filled with tap water. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to fry a brand new $350.00 pump motor.

The motor will have four connections: ground, common, high, and low. You can simply wire ground goes to ground, and the other two wires to common and low. That will run the pump at low speed all the time, which should be good enough for the moment. Or if you want, use common and high, to run at full speed only.

Here are two pics of the pump and label. So do I put bare copper to ground, red wire to High speed lug and black to low speed lug and white to common? If so, then this will cause the pump to run in High speed? I wired the box in the house on a 240vac 30amp breaker with white to the common bar ground to the common/ground bar and red to one lug of the breaker and black to the other lug of the breaker. Plus the pump will have a separate ground from the frame to a grounding rod right next to the pump. I also included a pic of my milky green pool for your entertainment. I have spent hours going over pool school and the BBB. I have confidence that with my HTH 6 kit till my better kit gets here I should be able to work my own pool chemistry. I also downloaded the pool calculator to help. :hammer:[attachment=0:39oeepgs]Pump label sm.jpg[/attachment:39oeepgs]

Attachments

• Pump label sm.jpg
    Pump label sm.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 69
Here is another pic[attachment=1:13murzu5]inside pump sm.jpg[/attachment:13murzu5][attachment=0:13murzu5]milky green sm.jpg[/attachment:13murzu5]

Attachments

• inside pump sm.jpg
    inside pump sm.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 71
  • milky green sm.jpg
    milky green sm.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 69
For a 230V setup, you will not use the neutral (white) wire, but there should be a bare copper ground wire in the conduit to the motor along with the black and the red. That bare wire should connect to the green frame grounding screw inside the motor's wiring compartment.
Connect the black wire to the Common terminal.
Connect the red wire to EITHER the LO or HI terminal, depending upon which speed you wish to use.

The big "grounding" connector on the outside of the motor is not actually a grounding connector, but is to be connected to the bonding grid of the pool and not to earth ground.

Thank you all. You guys rock and the fact that you both came up with the same answer. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that I will be doing the right thing. I will be back with questions on hooking up a HI-Lo switch at some time. Hope you all had a good laugh looking at my milky green water. It will be clear soon.

:cheers: Yes my pump is up and running like a champ. The pool is circulating great. Now down to the chemistry of crystal clear water. You guys and gal’s rock. There is still sediment at the bottom of the pool so I did not replace my sand in my filter yet plus I have a few seals to replace next week. I figured there would be with the pool being not opened for almost 4 years. I bought this house on a foreclosure in Oct.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.