FC: 5
CC: 0
pH: see below
TA: 60
CH: 350
CYA: 50
Borates: 50
Salt: 800

I just purchased the Taylor K-1285-6 pH test as my pH with the standard K-2006 kit reads over 8 regularly due to my spa spillover. The K-2006 appears to be accurate since when I put in the suggested amount of MA based on the acid demand test, the pH then reads at the expected level based on the MA added. Reagent was purchased last year and still looks fresh (I keep it in the house which is always air-conditioned). The new K-1285-6 test kit shows a pH of 7.4. I had my water tested at Pinch-a-Penny today for kicks and they stated 7.6 (surprisingly, all other pool store numbers were pretty close, except TA which I measured at 60. they gave me 120).

I also purchased the K-1285-4 for when pH is very low, which happens when I overdose on MA sometimes. That kit goes to 7.4 on the high end and my pH on that scale is way darker than the 7.4 cell, so I presume that my pH is much higher.

The Cresol Red reagent for the 1285-6 kit looks watery - it is an orangey-red and not as deep a color as the other indicator reagents. The Bromthymol Blue is deep as is the Phenol Red.

The test kits were purchased from http://www.poolweb.com who had them drop shipped from Taylor, so you would assume they would be fresh from the manufacturer.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is and why I am getting inconsistent results?

Thanks!

Tell me about it, Dave! LOL

My issue is that I want to know how far above 8 my pH is so I know if it is constantly increasing or settles in at one point. If it settles just above 8, I can leave it there and be happy. If it is constantly increasing, I have to address it.

Hopefully someone has experience with this kit or can let me know what Cresol Red should look like. Maybe chemgeek can shed some light on the issue. Fingers are crossed I can solve this.

My K-2006 shows a pH of over 8 with Phenol Red and a 44 mL sample as it turns deep red to hot pink. The K-1285-6 shows a deep yellow 7.4 with an 11.5 mL sample with Cresol Red. Will take pics of both when I get home. Thanks.

My comment about the orangey-red was about the reagent itself in the bottle - it isn't a deep color like the other indicator reagents.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

OK, so I tried pH tests again and they seem to agree for the most part on 7.4/7.6. Here are the best images I could capture for comparison.

K-1285-6.jpg

K-2006.jpg

I will see when pH gets high again what happens and keep the forum updated.

Lastly, just want to be sure I am using the pipette properly. Below is the measure I am using for 0.5mL. Please confirm that is the correct way to fill the pipette for the stated measure.

Thanks!

Pipette.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.