Pool light for old sylvan pool

dvmak

Jan 8, 2012
Pool light does't work but there is electric at junction box. I pulled the light from the niche but can't quite make out who the manufacturer is - perhaps someone here can identify this light? I though Sylvan used Sta-Rite SwimQuip for their pools but looking online the housing looks deeper on those.

The niche itself looks to be in good condition. There was a lot or crud behind the light so I'm assuming the light is watertight and water is allowed to get behind the light housing.

Also, I drained the pool and wanting to add a SWG but now concerned that the housing may not hold up with salt water. Should I be concerned if I go SWG?

Attachments

• niche.jpg
    niche.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 478
  • light-front.jpg
    light-front.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 482
  • light-back.jpg
    light-back.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 474
That shell is on its last leg. With the corrosian/oxidation it will be hard to tell if/when it leaks...there can be small cracks you can't see. Thats what happened with my 30yo. light and it didn't look as bad as yours. Kept on getting water in it.

I would replace it, ideally go with LEDs.

I assume you are referring to the shell for the light itself and not the niche it fits into. The light didnt have water in it so I'll give it a shot with new bulbs until I can figure out what I can replace with. It's not that deep of a niche so not sure how many lights can fit...

Any suggestions?

I was talking about the light and its shell, not the niche. Also consider what kind of shape the chord is in. And is the light on a GFCI circuit? Not being a pain, just making sure things are as safe as they can be.

If you send me the dimensions of the shell I can compare it to my Swimquip light I just replaced. If it helps.

HI
I am in the same exact situation with my sylvan pool. I also just took out the pool light and found this dinasour inside. I believe it is app. 30 yrs old according to the original owners. I would love to replace this with a current option, mainly LED. Though the light is 3 1/2" there is a 7' deep hole in the concrete. Does anyone know of a way to upgrade the fixture and housing so that I can use an LED Bulb? I went out today and purchased the two halogen bulbs to replace the original Radiant bulbs. I sure hope someone can help because right now I am just clueless here.
Thank you,
Linda

What is 3-1/2"....the diameter of the bulb? And what is the name on the metal ring on the light shell? If your housing is in decent shape you can just put an led light in.

This is the bulb I put in my old Swimquip: http://jandjpoolspa.com/Purewhite2.asp

Since the Swimquip light fixture is a smaller one it was my only option. This is a decent light, probably not as bright as a halogen but a lot less watts. Also they won't honor the 3 year warranty if you don't use their silicone gasket.

Sorry, I think my description was less than adequate..when we pulled the entire light casing out of its crevice in the concrete, there depth of the metal/copper casing is only 3" deep. It takes 2 light bulbs that look like tube lights that screw in Edison style. When we measured the concrete crevice while the light fixture was out, the crevice itself is app. 7" deep. My logic is that the current old light fixture has app 4" of play behind the water tight light and casing. The current light fixture can not hold any other type light other than a tube bulb because of it's shape and design. That would mean I would have to find another light casing that I assume uses the STA-RITE SWIMQUIP fixture. At least that is what I am trying to figure out here. I can I am assuming that the niche on a new fixture and casing has to match the old niche somehow for waterproofing safety. I just think I need a newer light fixture that is a few inches deeper so that I can use a standard LED light bulb. I went out and bought a LED bulb in readiness for the old light to be removed, that bulb is app. 6" deep. Still very confused and hoping to get some clarity from your replies. Thank you.

Assuming the niche (shell that holds light casing) is "wet" meaning its not water tight, then; no, waterproofing the bulb has nothing to do with the niche. If you can find that fixture and it fits the ring thats built into the pool wall then no problem. Keep in mind fixtures come with different length wires to hookup to a small junction box located near your pool, you'll need to know if you need 25', 50', or 100' wire.

By the way if you find a fixture within a couple inches the diameter of the ring but not a perfect match, then you can buy metal adapter rings. To marry the fixture to the wall niche.

What brand bulb did you get, and how many watts does it use?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi
To replace the two Brilliant light bulbs that were about 30 yrs old.. I found Brand name PRISM Halogen Lamps.
I went to an old pool store and an electrical supply house that has been in business a long time, since they were
both familiar with my issues... This was the bulb they both recommended to use as the replacement.
The bulbs are 250 watts, the same as the original. I sure hope this helps you...

dvmak said:
Pool light does't work but there is electric at junction box. I pulled the light from the niche but can't quite make out who the manufacturer is - perhaps someone here can identify this light? I though Sylvan used Sta-Rite SwimQuip for their pools but looking online the housing looks deeper on those.

The niche itself looks to be in good condition. There was a lot or crud behind the light so I'm assuming the light is watertight and water is allowed to get behind the light housing.

Also, I drained the pool and wanting to add a SWG but now concerned that the housing may not hold up with salt water. Should I be concerned if I go SWG?

How did you remove the light from the niche? I have a similar Sylvan pool light that has a vertical notch at 12 o’clock just like the light in your picture, do you just pry with a flat blade screwdriver? I’m assuming that the light will just snap back into place in the niche. We’ve never removed the light or changed the bulb and the light won’t go on and trips the GFI.

I think the pictures of the swimlite are very deceiving. I too took pictures of my lamp setup and it too looks much deeper than it actually is.. app. 3-3 1/2" is about where it measures.

I plugged the hole where the main electrical cable goes through and after 48 hours the water level has dropped ~ 3/8” and I attribute that to normal evaporation. Before we would lose almost an inch overnight. Doing this in the water was no easy task.

The fixture had some water in it and contained 2, 250W Norelco 120V Spotlight bulbs which were both broken at the base of the bulb where you screw it in. 7 of the 8 screws which hold the backplate to the lens to keep it watertight had the screw heads rust off and the backplate became loose which let the water seep in to the bulbs. Next step is to find 2 replacement bulbs of equal brightness.

I would think any 250w e26 based halogen should work. Good luck on screws and new gasket! I called Paragonaquatics (email on their website returns error) and they sent me a parts breakdown but you have to order from a distributor as they won't sell direct to consumer. I've emailed the parts request to several distributors/retailers and still no response.

The rubber gasket is okay. Just need the screws and 2 bulbs. Leslie website claims they have the bulbs but we need to check the length to make sure they will fit. The screws should be pretty standard but you never know.

dvmak said:
I would think any 250w e26 based halogen should work. Good luck on screws and new gasket! I called Paragonaquatics (email on their website returns error) and they sent me a parts breakdown but you have to order from a distributor as they won't sell direct to consumer. I've emailed the parts request to several distributors/retailers and still no response.

Any ideas where I could pick up a couple 250W bulbs? So far no luck with Lowes or Home Depot and the Leslie website description sounds close but doesn’t have measurements or a photo. The bulbs can’t be longer then 5 ½” or they’ll be too big to screw in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.