Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need to replace my winter cover...looking for advice

1. Back To Top    #1

need to replace my winter cover...looking for advice

I need to replace my winter cover. I've heard a lot of good things about the loop-loc covers, but from what I've seen they are quite expensive, especially for a pool my size and shape.

Are they worth it? How long do they last? How easy is it to get a pump into the pool if you need to lower the water level during the winter?
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

2. Back To Top    #2

bumping up...I will also be looking for a new cover for next winter too.

chris
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)

3. Back To Top    #3

I've had the loop-loc for nine years. Other then being just a little faded (not much really), it is a good as new.
    IG 18 x 36 Vinyl
    30,000 Gallons
    AutoPilot SWG
    Aquabot T2
    Hayward S244 Sand Filter
    Hayward 1hp RS1000 Pump
    ------------------
    Leisure Bay Spa - Flores - 500 Gallons
    AutoPilot SpaPilot - Not Yet Installed

4. Back To Top    #4
    I have a Loop-Loc mesh cover, and I like it really well. I have high alkalinity fill water, so getting all the rain water into my pool over the winter is a big help. Once it's on, the pool is safe, unlike water bag covers that make the pool more dangerous. The leaves and stuff that blow onto the cover dry up and blow away. My cover cost me about $1200, and I spent less than $200 for the tools I used to install it, which consisted of a new hammer drill and bit.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5
    loop-loc is the top of the line in safty covers we must install 50-70 per year

6. Back To Top    #6
    We have one, but it is a solid one. We had a pump on top to drain off the water as it rained, it automatically came on when it sensed water pressure on the cover. We opened the pool and it was a bit cloudy, but you could still see the main drain. Then 36 hours later I had crystal clear water.
    ~39,000 gallon True L, 43x28x18, Steel Wall, Vinyl Liner; 2 skimmers, 2 bottom drains, 3 returns, 1 dedicated cleaner line with Polaris booster pump; Polaris 280
    Hayward Pro Series 300 pound Sand Filter, Hayward Heat Pump 116K BTU
    2 Hayward Colorlogic LED Lights; Diving Board, X-Stream Slide, 3 Polaris Mini Jets; Step and Leisure Bench in deep end (SwimOut)
    Aqua Rite SWCG with Aqua Plus Automation and Controls (Goldline); Aqua Pod Remote for Controls and Aqua Logic Base Station

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I install many loop loc covers and have found them to be great. I had to replace one last year for a client who had the old one for 12 years. Small tears can be fixed with a mesh patch that is sewn on. Very easy to do yourself if you know how to sew. They are MUCH safer then water bag covers (i'm sure you've seen Loop Loc's logo with the baby elephant standing on a covered pool). A client wanted me to walk across her cover last winter to prove the effectivness and it was no problem. A corner of the cover can easily be removed if the pool needs to be drained down. You could also look into the Meyco covers which are basically the same thing (not sure about price difference).

8. Back To Top    #8

For anyone that has the standard water bag covers:

How often do you find that you need to replace them? I'm trying to get an idea of the total cost of ownership of the standard cover vs. loop-loc.

Thanks for everyone's advice. It's appreciated!
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

9. Back To Top    #9

we used the basic cover and water bags this past Winter (1st time w/ our pool) and we already had about 6 water bags break....so thats why we are thinking of ditching the basic cover and maybe swing for the loc loop for next year and besides the nice swamp/lake effect on top (which the mating ducks loved).
    we already have the pool open now, the kids actually swam today (we just got a heat pump) and the water was still a cool 76 but, the it wasn't to bad

chris
    30-40yr old prehistoric IG gunite 20 X 40 approx 30000gals
    now with new cool blue Diamond Brite and blue waterline tile (looking good for 40yr old pool)
    new Hayward 244T sand filter, 3/4 Hayward pump, Jandy heat pump
    pool skim (love it)

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a solid loop-loc cover and love it; definitely worth the investment in safety and appearance. With the solid cover I have few issues at start-up and little debris as well as no algae. I super-chlorinate just prior to covering up for the winter and have a small pump on top to remove rainwater in the off-season. As to installation I recommend a serious hammer drill, the kind that resembles a small jackhammer in size. Hand held drills with a hammer feature don't have the necessary weight to drill a chip free hole in the concrete typically used in pool deck construction. They are easily rented locally at Sunbelt or home improvement stores and if you have located your drilling sites using the install template you can drill all the holes during a 4 hour rental period (generally the minimum rental time). Put a piece of duct tape around the drill bit to mark the proper depth for drilling and you can get the job done.
    16' x 35' 23,500 gal Grecian in-ground w/vinyl over vermiculite, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward pump & Polaris pump. Built in 88, overhauled (plumbing, liner, etc,) in 2005