AquaLogic PS4 Flow Switch

jhalpinjr

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2011
Warner Robins, GA
Hi all,

Lately my display on my unit indocates the cell is off and there is no flow. If I turn up the speed on the Ecostar is will show flow. However, all last year it worked at this RPM. I even turned it up to 1300RPM and after a while it will say the same thing.

So I am going to beleive it is the flow switch. Can these switches be cleaned? Is there any way to test to determine if its the switch or the board? I have not removed the switch nor touched it in any way. Additionally the cell is 3 years old, and I have never cleaned the the cell (T15 model)

Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!

There are a couple of things you should check first, before looking into the flow switch. A blockage anywhere in the plumbing could reduce the flow rate enough that the switch doesn't detect flow at the old RPM even if the switch is working perfectly. Have you checked the skimmer basket(s), pump strainer basket, cleaned the filter, etc? Are any valves accidentally closed or partially closed that should be open? Is the filter pressure at it's usual level or is it mysteriously high or low? Is the SWG cell have calcium scaling?

If none of that turns up anything, you could open up and check the flow switch. They can get calcium scale on them, or be partially blocked by debris, though both of those are slightly unusual. Commonly they either work or they don't work at all. The nut that holds the flow switch in is slightly delicate in some versions of the unit, so have a care not to over tighten it when replacing it.

If you take the flow switch out of the tee, plug the tee with an expansion plug, and physically press the two contacts together on the flow switch and the light goes out its a low flow issue. If the light stays on its probably the switch, though you should likely be able to see a nick in the cable or some exposed wire. Make sure the arrows for lining up the flow switch are spot on as well.

Ok I am up and running- sorry have been on a business trip to Juarez......

I removed the flow switch it looked fine. My pressure gauge couldnt tell me if there was any flow difference as my VS pump speed has always been lower than what my pressure read. I went ahead and cleaned the Salt Cell with acid per Haywards instructions. Two weeks now and NO problems!!!

Here is the big question: COULD this be from the DE that I add to my sand filter? The cell is only 2 years old. Could DE be sticking to the plates? You really cant see inside of the cell to inspect......just a thought. What do you all think?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.