I really hate matching colors . . .

May 26, 2012
Hi Everyone,

Just did my first pool opening and the previous owner left behind plenty of stuff to help me maintain the pool. I've read (online, in manuals, and a pit in Pool School) about maintaining chemistry and what needs to be at what values, but my complaint is that I'm somehow completely unable to match the Dang colors. I have tried the test strips and moving them down a range of colors, but I end up with "Well, it could be that... or it could be that other one way down there". The same goes for the reagents - I'm somehow incapable of it and I'm not color blind.

With that in mind, I picked up the AquaTest from Leslie's. It's a complete POS. I wish I came here and read some of the reviews first. The values are all over the place from one test to another, and don't match what the pool store down the street shows what-so-ever. It says my FAC was too high to read and the manual said to dilute the water or something, but the pool store said I was at a .5, which was obviously way too low.

I was going to try out the ePool for $199, but in doing a little homework I found TFP and read the user reviews on that, and apparently it's Crud as well. Everyone seems to like the TF-100 Test Kit here so I looked at that, but apparently it's more color matching!!! In 2012 is there really no easy "Here's what's in your pool" readout? I don't trust my strip reading, my color test reading, or the worthless devices I'm purchasing and there's a 9 year old boy really looking to have fun in his first pool.

Am I alone in my frustration?

The TF-100 has a titration test for chlorine, which means that chlorine is tested by counting drops, and is extremely accurate.
There will be some color-matching, such as for pH, but there really isn't much of an accurate alternative.

The TF-100 only requires color matching for a single test, the PH test. There are two chlorine tests, one of which requires color matching, but you can always use the other one (which is better for other reasons as well).

If you are firmly determined to avoid all color matching you can look at the ColorQ. It has several limitations, and can't match the TF-100 in some ways, but for the most part works fairly well.

I would go with the TF-100, but there are a few ColorQ advocates on the forum. The main limitation on the ColorQ is that it can't measure anything when FC is above 10, which can get problematic when you are shocking, it also lacks precision on the CYA test and can't measure CH at very high levels. It also costs more. The big advantage is that it gives you a digital readout.

Most people need a little practice to use the PH test in the TF-100, but after a while it tends to get much much easier.

The color matching for the Ph test is easy, all the other tests are count drop based - it's an easy process. Last year was my first year, the first couple tests took the longest, after 4 weeks I was a pro. After a full winter of not testing the first couple of tests this year were no problem.

Well...............we all feel your pain to some degree. The TF-100 does some important tests based on color change rather than color matching. Performed properly, I assure you those results are as accurate as you can get. PH is your standard color matching---but here, you are shooting for a range rather than a specific number and be just fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The TF100 arrived tonight and I gave it a whirl. It's actually pretty easy and the color matching wasn't terrible with that white pad that comes with it.

I'll be posting my numbers over the next couple of days - thanks again :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.