Sta-Rite heater won't fire

Apr 14, 2008
Sta-Rite 333k NG heater won't fire the heater.

Starts ok
Blower starts up
~ 30 seconds- 1 min go by and it switches to service heater LED
None of the fault LED's on the bottom are lit
The Fenwal on the igniter goes to 3 flashes "Ignition lockout" :hammer:

Sound like a failed igniter?

Pool store closes at 5!!

Sta-Rite 333k NG heater won't fire the heater.

Starts ok
Blower starts up
~ 30 seconds- 1 min go by and it switches to service heater LED
None of the fault LED's on the bottom are lit
The Fenwal on the igniter goes to 3 flashes "Ignition lockout" :hammer:

Sound like a failed igniter?

Pool store closes at 5!!

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to update it in the hopes that it could possibly help someone. I was having the exact issue as the OP, but it would only happen intermittently. I fought with this for 5 years before finally getting it fixed this year. We've had the pool builder, a rep from Sta-Rite, and the gas company all come out over the years but it still never worked right...

About a month ago, the main board on my Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm 400 pool heater when out AGAIN. We had a technician come out and replace it and when he tried to fire it up, it had the same symptoms (blower starts, 30-60 seconds it tries to ignite but doesn't, then service heater LED comes on). He checked various things and tried a new igniter but it still didn't fix the issue. He then checked the gas pressure and it was only 4"WC with the heater running. He said it needed to be 5"WC or higher. Note: the manual for this heater says it needs a minimum of 4"WC when running, but obviously that's not enough (IMO)

I called the gas company out and the guy measured the gas pressure with the heater NOT running and it was 7"WC. He also checked with the heater running and it was about 4.4". He said they are only supposed to supply 7"WC but he also knows that these heaters are touchy, so he increased it to 8"WC with the heater off. He didn't check it again with the heater running but it has fired up every single time since he increased the gas pressure.

So...if you are having an intermittent problem with your Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm pool heater that no one can seem to figure out, be sure to check the gas pressure!

I know this is an old thread.. but It seemed an appropriate place to post my story too. I was having the same symptoms as the OP. Fan would spin up, I could hear the valve click, then I would get the 3 flashes on the Fenwal indicating an ignition lockout, eventually the service light would come on.... and NO codes on the bottom of the board...sound familiar?

Over the span of three seasons I fussed with it, called StayRite/Pentair tech support multiple times, searched the web, ran through the troubleshooting flow chart adnauseum, had the gas company check things, searched the web more... arrgh. More than once I was told to replace the igniter, even when I already did. I had pulled off and benched tested and metered everything I could think of except the gas valve. It turned out the solenoid for the regulator side of the valve had failed. I ended up disassembling the valve before I discovered it, but they can be tested easily with an Ohmmeter. I'm not sure why no one ever suggested I check this. There is no way to replace just that particular solenoid so I had to replace it with another gas valve unit.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.