Test numbers

Apr 17, 2012
So happy. ... The pool is filled and the filters are running. My pool is about 100,000 gallons and I have been dumping bleach in since it started filling. These are my numbers since the filters have been running 24 hours.

FC 2.46
PH 7.3
TA 44
CH 49
CYA 0 (I added 4 lbs of stabilizer when it was filling)

I know my numbers are not perfect but Which one should I focus on changing 1st?

Is that a typo? 100,000 gallons? :shock:

You'll need more like 40 pounds of CYA if that's for real.

As a general rule of thumb: pH first, FC based on CYA next. Then CYA to protect the FC. Then worry about CH if it's a plaster pool. Lastly, TA.

Where'd you get those test results? If it's from strips or the pool store, I'd be wary, and not make any huge adjustments.

100,000 gallons is NOT a typo!! The pool is 30x60 and is 12ft deep in the deep end. Guess I have to get more stabilizer :) should I use the sock method? And do I really need 40lbs? I'm using the ColorQ Pro-7 to test the water, it is electronic test kit.

Richard320 said:
Is that a typo? 100,000 gallons? :shock:

You'll need more like 40 pounds of CYA if that's for real.

As a general rule of thumb: pH first, FC based on CYA next. Then CYA to protect the FC. Then worry about CH if it's a plaster pool. Lastly, TA.

Where'd you get those test results? If it's from strips or the pool store, I'd be wary, and not make any huge adjustments.

Agreed. If it truly is 100k gallons depending on where you are planning on keeping the CYA, you'd need between 30-40 lbs of CYA, not 4. Remember CYA can take a while to register on a test.

You beat me to my response.

ac09lude said:
100,000 gallons is NOT a typo!! The pool is 30x60 and is 12ft deep in the deep end. Guess I have to get more stabilizer :) should I use the sock method? And do I really need 40lbs? I'm using the ColorQ Pro-7 to test the water, it is electronic test kit.

Check the Pool Calculator created by Jason to confirm all the doses. Yes the sock method is a pretty good way to distribute it. Especially since you don't need to baby sit it compared to if you just dumped it in.

Pool Calculator

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.