Does my pool really exist? Everyone is stumped........

May 25, 2012
I have a Summer Escape 18' x 48" round above ground quick set pool. (7600 Gallons). I have just replaced the 1000 GPH pump with a 2500 GPH pump. I admit, I was stupid to let my pool go last winter, Life got busy and I failed my pool. Now I am fighting an unseen forces. I have been told and have self tested that everything is great! My pool is clear now ( definitely had other lifeforms before)> I created a siphon with a hose and evacuated all the contents from the bottom of the pool and began treating it. I have put some of this and that to get the pool under control, including alga-side, and numerous gallons of chlorine and bags of shock. My pool seems to hold the chlorine over night But during the day it is diminished to nothing. Below are my results for today (This has beed the case now for over a month, regardless of what chlorine i add. (I used the pool calculator.. It tells me to add a little chlorine, If I follow it's request I will get nowhere) My pool will not hold chlorine at all!!!

I live in Scottsdale, My pool gets sunlight from 7am to 4pm. My temp right now is 84. I'm debating getting an umbrella to get less direct sun.

FC 0
tc 0
ph 7.5
ta 121
ch 385
cya 80
csi .03

I am lost at this point. Your help is requested and appreciated.

Who did the tests on your pool?? If you did your own....what did you use to test your water?? How have you chlorinated the pool in the past?? The spot to start with is looking at your CYA level. It sounds like you commonly used shock which added to your CH level (although doesn't Arizona have hard water anyways??) and also your CYA level. Have you tried adding bleach to the pool....if so how fast did it burn off??

Welcome to the site!!

I have put some of this and that to get the pool under control,
That virtually never works. If you really want your pool clear you will have to take over your pool chemistry and learn how and why you put ingredients in a pool and, importantly, how and why you don't. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

I purchased the pool last September and enjoyed a perfect pool last year. I usually take my water in to Leslie's pool for testing. I have some strips and I usually use chlorbrite. I have accepted MANY opinions since the beginning of this season. That is why I purchased a 2500 gph pump. The water now turns over allot faster. I have explored the chemistry and thought I had it under control. I need to at least have a chlorine level.... I guess I might need to go back to square 1 and relearn chemistry. I know I'm not the only one with this issue.

I'm guessing that the use of Chlor Brite has allowed your CYA levels to go high, and that the reading if 80cya is an inaccurate result. On average, how many of these packs do you use a week? My suggestion would be to get your own test kit and hit pool school. You MAY have an algae out brake starting to take form, and with that high of CYA its going to take ALOT to clear it up. Switch to liquid chlorine ASAP and take control of your pool!

Ps....you're not even close to the only one with this problem. A TON of new threads from new members fall into one of two catagories. 1....help my pool is green 2....help I can't hold chlorine

Often each is fixed by accurate testing.

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

I concur with the advise above and the first thing you need is a good test kit.

Until you can get one, take a sample to a couple different pool stores and have them test it. Then post all the results here for us to see. We'll use those to begin with.

Thank you for your help on this.

I have been told to load the pool with liquid chlorine and that would help kill any life in the pool. I have dumped 4 gallons of liquid chlorine in the pool since the beginning of this issue. The last gallon was 3 days ago. It seems that the pool shops just test for stuff they can sell you. They (3 stores) are all baffled. The only idea anyone made was to get a bigger pump. Now I have a much better pump. I will order a testing kit and begin to take my own pool back! Where would you recommend getting my supplies from? Do pool stores overcharge for shock, acid etc? Also i read that the ts-100 would be the best kit, is that right?

Definitely the TF-100 is the best value.

You never want to just dump stuff in your pool. With a vinyl pool you'll ruin the life of your liner. Besides, there's a much better way to do it.

If you'll follow the advice found here you'll be surprised how good it looks and how easy it is to keep it that way.
Once you post the pool store results we'll get you started.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.