Help me of to a good start please?

Jul 14, 2011
Schoolcraft MI
So, I got my first look at my pool tonight, and ran my first tests on it. Other than some floaties, and a nice green coat on the bottom, the water looks rather clean. I use a LoopLoc cover, so the pool doesn't need to be filled. I'm using a FAS-DPD Taylor k-2006 kit.

Free Chlorine - 0
Chlorine - 0
PH - 7.4
Alkalinity - 40
Calcium - 250
CYA - 0 (Filled the tube several times and re-did the test but could always see the dot, didn't blur at all)

Some background. I was on EZ pool for the last few years, and I'm done with it. Too many infections and spent WAY to much money on EZ pool and related products. I've got brand new sand in the filter at the end of the season last year, due to some nasty infection (pool was cleaned with a DE filter before I put new sand in). We closed the pool per the EZ pool instructions, so the lack of any chlorine in the pool doesn't really surprise me all that much.

As far as I understand, my first goal is to get the chlorine in spec, and The Pool calc tells me to put 265oz Bleach in the pool to raise to 4 (398oz to raise to 6). Wasn't really sure if I should go with the default Pool Calc, or the beginners guide.

At that point i need to start adding Dichlor (1oz per 500gal) at night until my CYA is up into the 30 range?

I quickly looked as I've never heard of EZ Pool. A few items stated that you may also want to test for copper. Let the pool store do this one for you...

Your starting plans of raising your FC levels on to a level of 4 is WAY to low. If you've got a green anywhere then you need to shock. Take your FC level up to 10FC's and hold it there until you finish the shock process. Here's a write-up in Pool School.
pool-school/shocking_your_pool

After that you can start adding stabilizer to raise your CYA levels to about 40 to start with. We tend to discourage people starting out from using Dichlor as your CYA levels tends to take off with this product.....and before you know it you've got too high of a CYA level. Look for a product that contains cyanuric acid and use that instead. It's MUCH easier to measure and know JUST the right amount you're adding to the pool. You can use dichlor....but I wouldn't suggest it. You also should look at your TA levels....and raise it too. At that low of a level your PH will run all over the place.

WELCOME TO THE SITE!!

Welcome to tfp, phelptwan :wave:

Leebo is right on with his advice.

The main thing I would add is to first raise TA up first to at least 60 ppm using baking soda. Use poolcalculator.com to calculate how much you need.

Next, using preferably bleach or chlorine get up to 11 ppm (shock FC level according to poolcalculator.com for 0 cya)

I would guess you got the dichlor approach from the temporary pool guide? You can use that approach, but it takes awhile to build up your cya to the level you need to protect your chlorine from the sun. I would recommend skipping the dichlor and buying cya (aka stabilizer aka conditioner) and use poolcalculator to calculate how much you need, then put it in a sock in front of a return.

linen said:
Welcome to tfp, phelptwan :wave:

Leebo is right on with his advice.

The main thing I would add is to first raise TA up first to at least 60 ppm using baking soda. Use poolcalculator.com to calculate how much you need.

Next, using preferably bleach or chlorine get up to 11 ppm (shock FC level according to poolcalculator.com for 0 cya)

I would guess you got the dichlor approach from the temporary pool guide? You can use that approach, but it takes awhile to build up your cya to the level you need to protect your chlorine from the sun. I would recommend skipping the dichlor and buying cya (aka stabilizer aka conditioner) and use poolcalculator to calculate how much you need, then put it in a sock in front of a return.

So it looks like I'm going to add about 9.5lbs of Baking Soda. Do I run it for a while before I add the bleach, or do I do these at the same time? At what point should i add the CYA?

Thanks for the help.

You can add the baking soda, keep the pump running and add the bleach 30 minutes later. Put the CYA in a sock and hang it in front of a return and give it a few squeezes every day until it has all dissolved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.