LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2012
North of Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm thinking about lowering the size/type of return jets to help circulate my pool a little better, will dropping the port jets down to 1/2"or 3/8" from 3/4" put to much back pressure on my pump to even worry about it? I'm assuming the different back pressure would change my clean filter pressure (for 25% DP for BW purposes) as well ? Has anyone had better luck with certain sizes or different types like the slotted eyes or even the rubber nozzle type(or would these rubber nozzle ones be good on the jet at the steps) ?

wolthuis.aspx

wolthuis.aspx

wolthuis.aspx

Smaller eyeballs with get you more jet pressure but they will also noticeably reduce the amount of water your pump moves through the filter and decrease your overall system efficiency.

In most situations you can get better overall circulation using larger eyeballs and careful aiming of the jets to produce the best possible water movement. The details depend a great deal on the specific placement of your returns. You want to create consistent water movement around in a circle (well, sometimes other shapes, depending on the pool) and encourage mixing of deep and shallow water. In some situations peak jet speed from small eyeballs can help make that happen, but in most cases the reduction in total water flow that comes from the smaller opening cancels out any advantage.

Well I'm glad I asked what originally I thought was a stupid question prior to just going out and replacing my 3/4" eyeballs :) Looks like I'll have to get in my sparkling clean pool and do some adjustments till I get er' right. Thanks for the good info Jason....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.