AquaRite: Which cell to purchase? T-Cell-5 with v1.4

May 25, 2012
I have an older model Aqua-Rite (not sure if Pro or not ... just bought the house and the seller was clueless). Control box is AQ-RITE-5-X288. The cell is a T-Cell-5. Pool is only 11.5k gallons, not sure why the T-Cell-5 vs. 3. Firmware version 1.4.

Cell seems to be on the last legs. Chlorine level from control box reports at 2200 when actual is 3000. Sticks for a "little bit" but always falls off after being reset.

So ... I need a new cell. I'd rather not buy a new control board too. Seems by searching for T-Cell-5 it keeps pointing me to GLX-CELL-5-W. Also, I presume that I can't go to the T-Cell-3. There are several warnings on SOME web sites of vendors warning that certain cells will not function with a v1.4 firmware.

Any suggestions on the best way to go to replace the old T-Cell-5?

(Tried calling Hayward/Aqua but just rings and rings.)

Thanks in advance.

A vendor on line advised the GLX-CELL-5. Says I have to stick with the 5 as my 1.4 firmware does not support reconfiguration. Also advised that's the difference between 1.5 and 1.4 is the ability to configure the board for different unit sizes.

The 5 is bigger than I need, but cheaper than replacing the board and the 5 with a 3 unit.

So looks like I found my answer... unless someone here thinks otherwise.

As the cell ages it reports lower and lower salt levels. I was able to get an extra six months or so out of my T-15 cell by raising the salt level in the pool. I have an older (6 or 7 years old) AquaRite unit. It also shows software revision as r1.40. My understanding was that the older units with r1.40 software had to use the T-15 cell. If you are currently using aT-5 that can't be true. I do know that the 40,000 gal. Rated T-15 will last a lot longer, if you can use it.

Maybe someone else here knows more about the compatibility of cells. They should be along soon.

I read somewhere that the T-15 was the only "current" unit being sold that works with v1.4.

The T-5 currently generates "some" chlorine until it loses the salt reading. Generating at 2.78 right now.

That was what I was saying that w 1.40 software I thought you could only use a T-15 cell. How can you have a T-5?

Well, I do. And it is working, just not super well. The prior owner has had it for a while (but he didn't remember how long). So I'm not sure whether we you and I have heard from the Internet (v1.4 will not work with replacement T-5s) is accurate or what the vendor said is accurate (that v1.4 merely does not allow for CHANGING the cell from what it was originally programmed for).

In other words, if the vendor is right then perhaps my system with v1.4 is programmed for T-5 so it will not work with a T-3 or a T-15 (it's "stuck" or "fixed"). But I'm just relaying information that I have been told. Seems to contradict the "Internet" but ...

Don't know.

Hayward bought out GoldLine and they still make the unit, albeit with updated software. You should be able to contact them for a definitive answer. I would go for the T-15 if you can use it, and make sure you get the one with the three year warranty. Mine lasted well over six years, and that's in a 20k pool in Tucson. In an 11k pool it should last a very long time.

The real cost of the cell is the purchase price divided by the life span. My T-15 came out to about $80 per year. Spending a bit more for a cell that will last a lot longer seems like a good tradeoff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.