Phosphate Question

walker3733

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 8, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
Ok, so before you jump on me and tell me that phosphates are insignificant in water chemistry and that is just some BS that pool stores tell you, I already know that. I have used this site religiously since buying a home with a pool 2 years ago and can't thank everyone here enough. They have educated me and saved me TONS of money :cheers: . So down to the question, I have a friend that from time to time his water will either get cloudy or green and he says its phosphates. He swears that every time this happens he dumps in his PhosFree and things clear up and that all his other chemical levels are in line. In the ABC's of Pool Water chemistry it states that "it doesn't make much sense to use phosphate remover except in rare and unusual situations". So what are those rare and unusual circumstances? Also, what exactly causes the phosphate levels to rise?

Thanks In Advance,

Justin

PS
If this has already been discussed could you please direct me to that topic

All kinds of things raise the phosphate level. Practically anything organic will raise phosphates, pollen, leaves, etc. Some kinds of sequestrant also raise the phosphate level.

Algae requires phosphates to grow. If phosphates are already near zero, then adding some phosphate remover to get rid of the last of the phosphates can prevent algae from growing. If the phosphate level isn't already fairly near zero, then removing the phosphates is too expensive and too much work. But if you are near zero to begin with it can be worth it.

Basically, phosphate removers need to be seen in the same vein as algicides, even though they don't kill algae directly (i.e. they starve them of an essential nutrient). Phosphate removers don't always work because they don't remove organic phosphates. They are not necessary if you maintain the proper FC/CYA level but can be "insurance" if for whatever reason you let the chlorine level get too low. Most people here don't use such products because they are extra expense, but there is nothing wrong with adding things to your pool so long as you know what it is and what it does. It's your pool, after all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.