Use sodium bromide with SWG?

JRM

Apr 12, 2008
Hi all,

I just picked up a (slightly used) Polaris AutoClear Plus SWG which I'm installing this weekend and I just found this site, I think it's going to be a great source. I already have a question (of course):

In the SWG owners manual it has a paragraph that states:

"When sodium bromide is used, it is in addition to the required sodium chloride levels. Refer to the sodium bromide requirements chart in the Reference section."

And it has a table showing how much sodium bromide to add. But nowhere in it does it say that I MUST use sodium bromide or what it's for. I've not seen anything about sodium bromide before in the reading I've done about SWGs. Is this something I must or should add? What's it for?

FYI, I'm in the Phoenix area (hot), and have a 30,000 gallon in-ground fiberglass pool with a 36sqft DE filter and 1hp pump.

Thanks.
John

Don't add sodium bromide. You would only use sodium bromide if you were using bromine as a sanitizer instead of chlorine. Bromine is fairly commonly used in hot tubs but hardly ever used in pools. Bromine is not suitable for an outdoor pool in any case.

They are just listing it to be through and cover the occasional person who is using bromine in their indoor pool.

Also to let you know that their unit CAN be used in a bromine based system. Not all SWGs can. It is an option for indoor pools, basically but not very useful for outdoor pools.

First you have to add the correct amount of sodium chloride (salt) then whatever their chart says for sodium bromide (bromine salt). Most of the time this is not available in bulk quantities. However, you can find it as Yellow or Mustard Algaecides. It's the main ingredient.

With a SCG, it is not necessary because (IMO) all the qualities of a SCG gives you the benefits of an indoor bromine pool/spa. You'll end up spending more money to maintain a bromine pool/spa because if your pool/spa is outdoor, there is no stabilizer for bromine, AND the cost of sodium bromide is in addition to the sodium chloride.

I suggest to just leave it as a chlorine generator and not worry about the sodium bromide. It's only an option.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something and I sounds like I'm in good shape. It's all wired up; I'll get it plumbed in today. (I'm using this opportunity to remove about four full u-turns from my plumbing flow too.) Then I've got about 7-800 pounds of salt to add.

Thanks Again,
John

John... How do you like your Autoclear Plus?

So now that your Autoclear Plus has been running for about a week now... How do you like it so far? Any issues with installation/startup?

I just picked up the Polaris Autoclear Plus for my 26Kgal IG. I looked at the other brands and settled on the Polaris for these reasons:

• Cost: $734 delivered for a new unit. Replacement Cells are $365 delivered.
    Cell Size/Installation: Compact cell that can be installed vertically or horizontally and only requires a 22" straight run.
    Brand/Name: It's not a pool pilot or Hayward(Goldline), but I figured that Polaris is a rather safe bet (lots of polaris dealers around here).

I am a bit nervous since the Autoclear Plus is not one of the more popular units. I just couldn't resist the price.

billyjoeraybob said:
John,

Just a word to the wise. Be sure to test your water for existing salt prior to adding that 7-800 lbs. I was surprised to find my water tested at 1500 ppm before I put my first bag of salt in the pool.

Good luck,

Bill

Thanks Bill,

I only wish I'd seen this sooner because now I have too much salt in my pool. See my latest question here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/viewtopic.php?t=4773

Whoops,
John

Re: John... How do you like your Autoclear Plus?

eelhc said:
So now that your Autoclear Plus has been running for about a week now... How do you like it so far? Any issues with installation/startup?

I just picked up the Polaris Autoclear Plus for my 26Kgal IG. I looked at the other brands and settled on the Polaris for these reasons:

• Cost: $734 delivered for a new unit. Replacement Cells are $365 delivered.
    Cell Size/Installation: Compact cell that can be installed vertically or horizontally and only requires a 22" straight run.
    Brand/Name: It's not a pool pilot or Hayward(Goldline), but I figured that Polaris is a rather safe bet (lots of polaris dealers around here).

I am a bit nervous since the Autoclear Plus is not one of the more popular units. I just couldn't resist the price.

eelhc,

It hasn't actually been up and running for a week yet becasue I ran into a little plumbing snag that delayed me a few days while I got a couple of new PVC fittings and found the time after work to get it all put together.

Anyway, it's been running about 3-days now and so far I couldn't be happier (other than the fact that I over-slated my pool). The unit fired right up, sensed the flow, told me my salt level (ugh), told me its output amperage and voltage and, judging by the chlorine levels, is making chlorine just fine.

Unless your's is much different from mine I don't see why you would need a 22" straight run for the cell. My cell is just over 10" long.

Installation was a piece of cake. I tapped into the power supply to the pump (from the timer). Wiring was simple (especially with 220v). I screwed the control unit to the block wall of the pump house and plugged the cell cable into the contoller.

Good luck,
John

Good luck,
John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.