Muriatic Acid

Apr 7, 2010
Jasper, Alabama
I have a sand filter and was told to clean the sand by putting the filter on backwash and pouring Muriatic Acid into the skimmer. Is this true? If so, how much muriatic acid? Also, my water is very clear however the sand is probably about 4to5 years old.

Do not pour acid into your skimmer!

The only time you should use MA is for lowering the pH in your pool or for cleaning your salt cell, if you have one. You add MA to the pool by pouring slowly near an inlet.

Why do you think you need to clean the sand? I've never done anything on mine but backflush, although I have heard of some using a cleaner to get rid of sunscreen/tanning oil/that sort of thing. There is a cleaner specifically for that, but it's not MA.

Your sand is actually around 4 billion years old. Don't let the pool store talk you into buying new sand.

Definitely no need for the MA. A filter cleaner or "degreaser" as it is sometimes called may help clean the sand a bit. Just make sure you are using the correct backwash procedure.

I've seen filter sand that's been used for 8 years and still filtering just fine. If you are worried that much you can shut off the pump, release the pressure from the filter and open the top to skim anything that might be stuck, make sure to replace any lost sand.

Thanks for everyone's advice and comments!! I truely love this site and the quick responses that never fail !! Great job to everyone envolved!!!!!

I will not use the acid and since my water is perfectly clear and all test readings are perfect, I'm leaving everything as is!!! As they say " if it's not broken, don't fix it " :hammer:

bbecky75 said:
Thanks for everyone's advice and comments!! I truely love this site and the quick responses that never fail !! Great job to everyone envolved!!!!!

I will not use the acid and since my water is perfectly clear and all test readings are perfect, I'm leaving everything as is!!! As they say " if it's not broken, don't fix it " :hammer:

opps, typo.. should be "involved"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.