Insulation board in Hayward H-250

LisaM

May 26, 2011
I am replacing the Heat Exchanger in the H-250 heater. So far so good and way cheaper than buying a new heater. It appears when I took it out it has been leaking for awhile and I did not realize it. the insulation board that creates a box around it is ruined. Anybody know exactly what this stuff is and where I can get new ones?

That is the refractory. Good luck finding it and replacing. Personally, you would have been better off getting a new heater. I would never recommend to a homeowner to replace the heat exchanger but that's just me. The usual cost of a new heat exchanger could be half the cost of a new unit. Now in your case you have another part that needs to be replaced and I do not know of any place that carries it for that old of a heater. Other parts for it are available for that heater.

Found a solution and the heater is working beautifully. The pool is a comfy 85 degrees like I like it. Sorry but I just dont have $2000-$3000 to drop on a heater when I can spend $700 on a part. Replacing the heat exchanger was actually the easiest fix Ive done on the pool. A lot easier than finding the suction side air leak that has been plaguing me for years!!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.