Add on pump and filter

Jun 8, 2007
Arkansas
I've been looking at pumps like this (not necessarily that pump but one like it)
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=94648

It has a high GPH rating.

I know its submersible, but its what i actually need for my pool. As we all know the Intex pools dont circulate water very well.

Here's my idea:

1) Find a broken pump that comes w/ the Intex pools or get a different kind of filter all together.

2) submerge this pump when the pool is not in use and have the drain hose go into the filter and from the filter back into the pool (laying it over the side but underwater not to cause aeration.

Along w/ running the filter tha comes with it (that mostly circulates the top of the pool)

This way the top gets filtered and the bottom, and it takes less time to turn over the pool.

Any comments or pros/cons of this idea?

That probably isn't such a great idea. That is a low head pump, which will move far less water than that if it needs to push the water through a hose or up from the bottom of the pool. I also doubt that it is designed for continuous operation.

I'm not positive if its made for constant use or not.

Ive looked at several that can lift up to 26 feet. If it came lift that high, then Im sure it can go over my 4 foot tall pool.

The one i linked isnt exactly what I was talking about but the closest i found on the website (found what i wanted in a catalog)

Its actually a waterfall/pond pump that moves 1800gph. So I figured this would help out quite a bit.

Here is more of what i was looking at.
I got the catalog number and typed it on the website. ITs 1315 gph, 19.68 feet of lift,

The item # is 45014-2VGA

Would this work better?

My theory is if it can power a pond/waterfall why couldn't it pump water out and back into my pool?

Maybe im missing a lesson learned

When they quote a GPH figure for that kind of pump they are assuming zero feet of lift and zero feet of pipe. Once you connect a hose to it and raise the water up three or four feet you will get somewhere between one half and one quarter of the listed GPH. That might work out to 6-8 GPM, which will help things a little but isn't usually worth it.

If your goal is to improve circulation it might be simpler to get a return fitting that allows you to aim the return flow down and to the side. That will improve your circulation more than the pump will, isn't likely to break, and won't use any noticeable amount of electricity.

I tried adjusting the angle of the water flow last year.

The pools pickup was lower than the return (naturally) but since it has a skimmer I reversed them (doesnt matter as the skimmer is adjustable) and the water return was lower in the pool and angled down and to one side.

This didn't work all that great.

My other theory was to put this pump into the pool, and connect it to the skimmer hose. But I wasn't positive this would work or not (running the factory pump sucking with this pump pushing)

Any other ideas on how to get better circulation near the bottom of the pool would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the information on the pump. It amazes me how a 1300 gph can go to less than 300

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.