Intex swg just turns off

May 24, 2012
Ottawa
So I just set everything up and an odd thing is happening.

I turn on the swg, and pump is running off of the same outlet as it has for years, set the hours and wait for the green light to appear. A few moments later the green light appears as it normally does and almost instantly the screen goes blank and the unit shuts off. The pump continues. I unplug the swg from the extension chord and the unit starts up again but the same process repeats.

I can confirm that it is not the breaker tripping.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Bama Rambler said:
Sounds like it's something internally tripping when the power transformer kicks in. I've never torn one apart so I don't know what it could be.

Are all the power cables in good shape?

Yeah all the cables look good. I think I read somewhere that there is something on the circuit board that isn't sodered well and comes apart after enough use due to the heat the unit produces. I have no idea if this is the case but it looks like I've got a weekend project!

So the unit isn't giving any indication of a low salt or high salt condition? It sounds like it may be shutting itself off to protect itself, but it could be a problem with the board itself if it's just shutting off without any other indicators. Have you checked to make sure the cell is in place properly, etc?

I have very little experience with the Intex SWG, or any SWG for that matter however I do have some electronics background. More than likely the display is going to be 5-12 volts, which means inside the SWG there will be a transformer to step the 110V AC to 12V DC, there should also be a voltage regulator (Probably a LM7805 or something similar) which have an internal thermal protection, if they get to hot from a short or just an overload they will trip and shut down. This could be caused from corrosion in the circuit, maybe there is moisture in there, a loose or corroded solder joint could cause this due to the high resistance, or it is possible the voltage regulator has simply failed. I could be completely wrong here but again with my electronic experience that is what it sounds like to me, if your out of warranty and feel brave enough to tear into your SWG you will be looking for a small black component about 1/4-3/8" square with a metal tab sticking up off the back, most likely this will be attached to a small heat sink, it will have 3 legs going to your circuit board. If it was me I would find the little guy, check to see if your getting voltage to the regulator, then when it trips check to see if you still have voltage to the regulator (you will probably see 12v at the input leg of the regulator) if there is voltage there then check the output leg (more than likely 5v) my guess is you won't see any voltage there after it has tripped, if that is the case you have found the culprit, desolder it, spend the $1.50 or so for a new one at Radio Shack, solder it back in and your up and running. Of course this is all at your own risk, if your not 100% comfortable working around electricity don't open your SWG up, also this is all speculation like I said before I have never been inside of one, in fact I just ordered my first one which will be here in a day or two. I hope this helps, and doesn't scare you half to death lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.