Can you install an oval doughboy on concrete?

nelson411

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Northern California
Hi all,

I was at the Doughboy dealer today, looking at oval pools (12 X 24) for that is all that will fit in our dinky backyard. We were going over the pools and prices, and I mentioned that we had a 16 ft wide concrete slab we would place it on, and she stopped in her tracks and said that an oval could not be installed on concrete. :shock:

Something about how water wants to go round in circles, and so the buttress support needs to be buried in ground using a concrete block, to support the wall. To keep it from going round. :sad:
I was very surprised by that, so I thought I would check with y'all pool experts? :bowdown:

Is it possible to install an oval hard sided pool on concrete? If not, are there any work arounds? :wink:

I guess we could go to an intex soft sided pool if it won't work. :|

Many thanks!

Liz :wave:
Billy Preston/will it go round in circles?
:punkrock:

I know the oval pools I have seen have channels that go under the pool quite a distance in addition to the straps. There would either need to be a channel in the concrete or a surface built up from the concrete such as polystyrene foam insulation. Here is an install video (not a doughboy) of a buttress free system showing the channels: http://www.familyleisure.com/customer-support/Buttress-Free-Install--Oval-Pool

The failure of the doughboy dealer had nothing to do with their pool business, they were a large hardware store as well, and the big box stores killed them. There is a rumor that the people that ran the pool department is in negotiations to open under their own names. I looked at an oval installation on concrete today, they had made an oval of retaining wall blocks two courses high about 3 feet wider than the pool on all sides and filled first with the gravel that has the finely ground stone in it so that it packs, then covered with sand.

they had made an oval of retaining wall blocks two courses high about 3 feet wider than the pool on all sides and filled first with the gravel that has the finely ground stone in it so that it packs, then covered with sand.

Translate please.... :)
So two rows of the blocks that measured 3 ft wide?

I'll see if we have that much space around where we want to put the pool.

Thanks again for the expert advice! :whoot:

Hi Linen,

I know the oval pools I have seen have channels that go under the pool quite a distance in addition to the straps. There would either need to be a channel in the concrete or a surface built up from the concrete such as polystyrene foam insulation. Here is an install video (not a doughboy) of a buttress free system showing the channels: http://www.familyleisure.com/customer-s ... -Oval-Pool
:goodjob:

Thanks for the info. I watched the video and it makes a lot of sense. I'll show it to my DH. We can probably figure that out. :whoot:

I'm learning so much in this board! :party:

Cheers,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.