need help opening the pool! water is cloudy

Shocking is a process, not a product. Please read through the shock process in pool school.
pool-school/shocking_your_pool
If your pool was not maintaining FC overnight, you weren't done shocking. It is normal to lose FC during the day.

I would not depend on normal FC to clear your pool. The SWG is only there to maintain normal FC, not for shocking. You'll need bleach for shocking.

pacman19777 said:
I see, my bad, I though that you only shock the pool once in the beginning..

so if my pool is at FC = 3 I can shock to 24 again? ex: add anothe 6L of 10% hypochlorite
Yes, you can (and should) shock the pool properly. I am not sure if 24 if the correct FC to shock your pool, because I do not know your CYA level. Do you have your own test kit? If you post full test results, we can help get you off to the right start. Just make sure you maintain shock level FC until your pool is clear and you pass the OCLT!

PS welcome to TFP! :wave:

pacman19777 said:
I don't remember any pool store giving CC results, it's usually only FC
CC stands for combined chlorine and it can show up when chlorine is attacking organics (like algae) in the pool water. For you to be most effective at the shocking process you will need a good test kit. See this link: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

I like the tf-100 and it has fast shipping.

pacman19777 said:
What is oclt?
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test

pacman19777 said:
Here is somethine weird that hopefully someone can explain, when i test the FC if i put one drop it goes orange, but if i put 5 drops it goes dark yellow, it this normal??
That is not an FC test. That sounds like an OTO TC (total chlorine) test.

Repeat your chlorine test with an FAS-DPD FC test and post your results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pacman19777 said:
added about 6Litres of 10% hypochlorite, then this morning went to the pool store to test, and they were almost shocked how much chlorine was in my pool.
So i get 6700 gallons for you pool assuming the actual water depth is 3.5 ft. Using poolcalculator.com i get a FC shock value of 18 ppm for 60 ppm cya. Your 6L of 10% would have raised you to about 24 ppm unless you still had some chlorine in the pool, then you would have been higher. And here is the problem, you do not want to drop below 18 ppm when shocking, so that usually means, once you get it up to your shock level, to maintain you need smaller and more often doses of chlorine to maintain the 18 FC mark (or 24 if you are using the cya/chlorine chart...either works).

Hence the need for a test kit that can read FC above 5 ppm accurately, neither of which your current OTO TC test kit can do.

It gets worse...to really know you have killed off all organics in your pool, you also need to know CC (combined chlorine) levels, since the presence of CC over 0.5 ppm is a sign of organics still being removed form your pool. Again, you need a FAS-DPD FC test to do this properly.

And it gets even worse...one of the other criteria that indicates that the organics are gone is the Overnight chlorine loss test. This is typically (most effective) when FC is at shocking levels and requires a loss of less than 1 ppm overnight.

Just my 2 cents in support of getting an appropriate test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.