Ace Hardware Memorial Day Sale on Pool chemicals

Jenson

LifeTime Supporter
May 6, 2008
Argyle, WI
Tried to search and didn't see anyone post this yet. If you have a local Ace Hardware these prices aren't too bad. Sale starts tomorrow, May 25th and goes thru the 28th.

The flyer for my area has the blue HTH Shock (45% available chlorine) for $1.99/lb. (Much cheaper than Wal-Mart that charges $3.47/lb. or 5 lb. box for $14.97 + tax. Still not as cheap as Aldi 96 oz bleach @ $.99 or 182 oz Great Value bleach at $2.98, but a decent price if you buy shock anyway. I stocked up last year as they didn't limit quantities.

I've got my eye on their Liquid Chlorine though. I just bough 2 cases (4 gallons) last night at Wal-Mart for $6.47 + tax.

During this sale Ace has it 4 gallons for $10 of 10%, which is still not as good as the Aldi bleach, but fewer bottles and more concentrated works best for me!

They also have algaecide for $5, not sure how big a container, but worth mentioning.

Love this forum!

Matt

I went to my local Ace yesterday to buy the HTH liquid chlorine. They only had a few bottles on the shelf - but told me to come back friday and they'd have the 40 bottles I asked for waiting for me. 40 bottles will take my through the end of September. $100 for a summers worth of Chlorine isn't bad.....

texasdad said:
I went to my local Ace yesterday to buy the HTH liquid chlorine. They only had a few bottles on the shelf - but told me to come back friday and they'd have the 40 bottles I asked for waiting for me. 40 bottles will take my through the end of September. $100 for a summers worth of Chlorine isn't bad.....
Except that liquid chlorine degrades in storage, especially if it gets hot, and I hear Texas summers can be warm...

Richard320 said:
texasdad said:
Except that liquid chlorine degrades in storage, especially if it gets hot, and I hear Texas summers can be warm...

Based on posts I've read by ChemGeek I believe I should be good as long as it is kept cool? I plan on keeping no more then 10 gallons in my buried 15 gallon tank and the rest inside the house.

chem geek said:
As shown in the chart at the bottom of this page, bleach at 6% is going to last quite a while if kept at room temperature with it's half-life extending well beyond 2 years. Even high-quality chlorinating liquid kept at room temperature is going to be reasonable at 3-6 months, but if temps get warmer such as storing the chlorine outside in a shed, then the chlorine will degrade much more rapidly. Basically, 6% bleach lasts around 4 times longer than 12.5% chlorinating liquid, all else equal.

Jenson said:
During this sale Ace has it 4 gallons for $10 of 10%, which is still not as good as the Aldi bleach, but fewer bottles and more concentrated works best for me!

The ads around me made me think the above as well. I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to buy cases of 12.5% for $10. Still not as good as that Menards BOGO deal a couple weeks ago, but the best I've seen since then.

This reinforced to me to take my time and read the label. On a side note, anyone know what the main ingredient is in HTH Salt Start up? 77% CYA. Yes, you read that correctly. A product that screams SALT on the label is actually mostly stabilizer. Pool chemical marketing just kills me....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.