Test Results! Test Results! Test Results!

jan123

May 24, 2012
I'm new to the forum. Had pool installed 5 years ago. Currently, in process of partially draining and refilling my pool based on pool company #3 recommendation due to high nitrates based on their read. Hopefully right decision.

Think so because two years ago went through a similar nightmare with different pool company during opening no chlorine reading after 3 lbs of shock...no chlorine..added 6 lbs of shock...no chlorine added 8 lbs of shock...fired pool company #1! Moved to next pool company told me my phospates were high...added phos free remover...vacummed..added more vacuumed...still couldnt hold chlorine. Fired pool company #2! Pool company #3 said CYA was high recommended draining/refilling pool...It worked!

Why does this keep happening? Hopefully partial drain (50%) and refill will resolve. Here are my readings from pool store which provided print out. FYI...Opened pool 1 week ago with start up chemicals no chlorine. Filled up chlorinator two days ago put dial to max no chlorine reading. Shock pool yesterday with 2 lbs of super shock..this morning no chlorine reading!

FC-.07
TC-.58
CC-.51
PH-6.4
Hardness-102
Alkalinikty- 56
Nitrate-36

IG Vinyl Pool; 25K; Sand Filter;

Welcome to TFP!

The high CYA comes from using trichlor or dichlor.

The high phosphates and high nitrates were pretty well just excuses by the pool store to get money from you.

We need your "current" CYA level after the refill. It may still be sky high. Hire Pool Company #4 (you) and order your own great test kit recommended in pool school. Welcome!

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Your first order of business is to get that pH to the mid 7's ASAP.

What is the CYA level now?

You'll do yourself and your pool a favor by ordering one of the recommended test kits.
This will put you in control of your pool. See Test Kit Comparisons in Pool School.

Yes. We use those 3 inch pucks and powdered shock. So convenient. My dad used them for 30 years on his above ground pool and never had a problem. So made sense to me when we got our IG pool.

Shame the water is so crystal clear. You would never know there was a problem.

Oh...forgot to mention..pool company mentioned that after draining and refilling to add 24oz or ph Up.

thanks all..will let you know about CYA level after refill---which will definitely take awhile!

jan123 said:
Oh...forgot to mention..pool company mentioned that after draining and refilling to add 24oz of ph Up.
This is so typical of pool stores. How in the world can they recommend adding pH up after a drain and refill. They have no idea what the pH is going to be. Your fill water could be 8+ pH and then your pool water pH would be perfect or even high. :hammer:

You're much better off doing your own testing and adjusting. That way you'll know why you're putting things in your pool and what they do.

Finished partial drain and refill.

Here are test results from pool company.
FC .45
TC 1.55
CC 1.1
PH 6.7
Hardness 50
Alkalinity 0
CYA 53
Nitrates 6

We have a gas heater.

What should i add at this point? in what order How much? Should I wait in between doses? Should I retest water in between? Someone said I should adjust PH first..Is this true?

Pool company 50 lbs PH stabilizer, hardness 62 lbs, shock 4lbs...costing about $250. UGG!!! I'm getting ready to buy my bleach, borax, and baking soda!

Thanks!

Yes, adjust the PH up to at least 7.2 right away. The PH is probably a lot lower than you think it is. The standard PH will report any PH below 6.8 as the same color, so it could be just about anything. If TA is really zero it has to be in the 4s or lower. Low PH can shorten the lifetime of the liner. The best thing to use to raise the PH is borax, but soda ash, or PH Up will do if that is what you already have.

Once you have PH settled, it is time to shock the pool. See the instructions in Pool School.

There is no reason to increase hardness in a vinyl liner pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Based on the pool calculator...I will add my 46 ounces of Borax tonight and filter pool.

How long should I run filter?

I will add my 191 oz of 6% bleach tomorrow night which I guess will "shock" the pool.

I thought I needed to worry about hardness because I have a heater?

Pool Calculator also indicated to add baking soda to increase alkalinity and calcium chloride to increase CH. Do I need to do this? or wait until I have proper PH and chlorine levels?
Thx

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.