Recomendation needed for replacing Above Ground Pool filter:

Tierceron

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2009
Billerica, MA
I am looking to replace a three year old Waterway proline 175 sq ft cartridge filter. I am in desperate need of a pool filter that is easy to open, get the cartridge out of and cleaned and then easily closed and running again. The one I have is so *&^%$# frustrating and I'm at my wits end.

We had a bit of a pool cover snafu (foobar) this winter and so this year's opening is murky greeen. Hence I am having to open and clean the Cartridge every other day and it is unbearable. Please help me. I've got little expirience (about two summer's worth) and of course the pump and filter came with the pool we bought so I'm sure its bottom drawer stuff. I've got about $400.00 to spend and I would like to be able to use the 1.5hp waterway pump we've currently got (no problems there)

Through my own research, I think Hayward is about in my price range. I was originally contemplating switching to DE but then I read the "basics" stickey on the site and though maybe it's a bit above me and complicated. So I've decided to stay with the
cartridge.

Are different brands of filters and pumps compatible? I'm afraid to go into a pool store and get bamboozled into replacing the pump I've got.

Any and all suggestions and help are greatly appreciated!

Re: Recomendation needed for replacing Above Ground Pool fil

My Sister has a Pentair Clean & Clear 200 sqft cartridge filter and it's extremely easy to open and close. She can do it by herself. You can find it for about $400.00.

I'm not trying to sway you away from the Hayward I just know how easy the Pentair is to work on.

It doesn't matter if the filter and pump are different mfg's.

Thank You. Just knowing that different manufacturers don't matter helps so much. Ease of Use is what I need so the Pentair sounds good. I really want to buy the best I can for the money I have. I've started checking out reviews and specs already.

Here's to crystal clear pool waters, for you and I! :cheers:

T.

I just wanted to update this post. Instead of buying a new filter altogether, I bought a can of Silcone spray. :goodjob: The major problem for me getting the filter cleaned out and back together was that the rubber ring/gasket was binding up and not sliping properly inside the bottom part of the filter casing when I put the top part of the filter casing back on. Stuff works like a charm, however I'm now finding that the rubber ring/gasket on this filter stretches out and becomes useless in a matter of weeks! Yeesh, obviously a design flaw. Just when you think you can save money........... :hammer:

Silcone Spray, If you don't have some, Get Some!

T.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.