Question about returns

May 17, 2012
tn
I read somewhere it is best to have your returns pointing down and to the right (instead of straight ahead) to make the water move counterclockwise around the pool? It this true and if it isnt what is the best way for my returns to be facing.

You don't want them to break the surface of the water. From top of pool, mine is facing down at 100-110 degrees to the right and circulates the long way around the pool back to the skimmer. Play with it and see what works for you.

Every pool is different, but you are on the right track! Pointing them down tends to get better circulation than pointing them up. As far as direction, I don't think it matters if it is left or right (as long as the direction is consistent among all of the returns). You can float a ping pong ball or two on your pool to get an idea about the surface circulation.

Warning!!! Non-nerds need read no further.

There is probably something about the Coriolis Effect here to "optimize" the direction you would want your pool water to flow. It would be opposite for those down under.

Granted this is likely a small difference in water flow ... but the toilets do flow the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere :wink:

It really depends on your pool. Aiming them down is probably best for water circulation, but aiming them up makes the skimmer work better at clearing the surface. Since I have a main drain, I aim mine so the ripple the surface and move things toward the skimmer.

This is exactly what I found. If you have a slight ripple on the surface, the skimmers works best. At first, I pointed them down and found to have a lot of dust accumulating on the surface (the pool is a waddling of 2 feets deep). Since they are a bit on the surface side, the water is crystal clear.
And the theory of the earth rotation, I think this is why we want it counter-clockwise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.