Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to clean the water line off my white steps and swim out?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to clean the water line off my white steps and swim out?

We just opened the pool for the first time Wedesday. There is a slight brown line at the water line on my white fiberglass steps in the shallow end and the swim out in the deep end. I got some kind of thick blue cleaner from the pool store but it is not doing much. I am afraid it is from our notorious red clay as our yard was full of it when we put it in last September. Is there anything else I can try? I like an immaculate pool and while the ring is not that noticable, I certainly know it is there. We have no ring on any other part of the liner, just the white steps and swim out. I have the TF-100 and kept my water very balanced last season, what time we had. It is balanced now with the exception of a little high TA of about 140. They added too much sodium bicarb at opening Wed.

2. Back To Top    #2
    I have used Magic Eraser to clean mine.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

As in the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? I just looked at the cleaner I got and the only thing I can see is it has phosphorus acid in it..but is supposedly pH neutral. But, it is not doing a good job.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Yes, the Mr Clean Magic Eraser will often clean up water line stains.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Sarah...I have a glass pool and my guess is your steps and swim out will stain easy if they are glass. I also use the Magic Eraser and it works good. Try taking your PH to 7.2-7.4 for a couple of days before you use the Magic Eraser it should come off very easy.
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

6. Back To Top    #6

At the start of every swim season I take a bleach water mixture to get rid of my water line stain, works great
    27' Round AG, 17,200 gallons, sand filter