swg ...when to boost pool?

Hopefully never. The boost feature on a SWG simply turns the unit on at 100% for 24 hours. Every once in a long while that might be useful, but for ordinary situations it is not useful.

If you are shocking the pool you want the FC level to go up quickly, which a SWG won't do. So shocking needs to start with manual additions of chlorine. When shocking you can use the SWG in boost mode to supplement the chlorine you are adding manually, though most people prefer to shock with the SWG off because it interferes with the overnight FC loss test and to save on cell lifetime.

Reactions: loudgonzo
not following ? what does boost do to the pool does it kill algea ? when i add clorox to the pool is that the same as boosting it ...when I add clorox it shuts down my swg,(had to add cause swg did not work when we bought pool and started to get algea waiting on new one) once the clorox seams to cirrculate the swg starts working again .....so as long as I keep the chlorine in balance I should not have to boost the water? sorry just trying to understand how to up keep my pool and not get algea in it

Thanks so much would not understand a thing without this site...

How are you adding the clorox? I do not see why adding some bleach would make your SWG turn off.

You SWG % should be set to maintain the adequate amount of FC for your CYA level at all times. If you have something happen (big storm, large party, etc), then you will just want to supplement the SWG by adding some bleach to bump the FC back up. No real reason to use the Boost/Super Chlorinate function on the SWG ever as it will help to shorten the cell life.

The Boost just makes the cell energized at all times instead of at the % that is set. This will just increase the FC in the pool ... the same thing adding bleach does.

A SWG produces chlorine. The end result is exactly the same as adding bleach to the pool, just more convenient. The amount of chlorine produced depends on the percentage setting (and/or number of hours of run time). The SWG is not aware of how much chlorine is currently in the pool. Using boost simply turns the percentage setting up to 100% for 24 hours, nothing else.

You should do some reading in Pool School. There is lots of good background information there, including an article on SWGs.

ok thanks ..Jason I understand what the boost does ..When I add clorox to the pool my swg locks up and all the lights flash and shuts off in about 10min..I then click it back on about 2 to 3 hours latter and eveything goes back to normal , soo this is not normal?My swg puts the chlorine in the pool as long as I have it set to do so ,so no need to add clorox unlesss I need to boost the level higher ?

That does not seem normal for the SWG to shut down.

Where are you dumping the bleach? If you put it directly in the skimmer (NOT recommended), then I could maybe see that messing up the SWG.

There is no need to add chlorine as long as the SWG is working and the pool is doing well. If for some reason the SWG can't keep up, or breaks, then you need to add chlorine.

How are you adding chlorine? If you are pouring chlorine into the skimmer, you should not be. In some cases that can cause an overload of the SWG. Usually that is temporary but in the worst case it could burn out the power supply. Chlorine should be added by pouring slowly in front of a return jet.

oppps :eek: . my bad:/ I did add it through the skimmer ,my swg is producing enough chlorine so no need to add the clorox. I only added the clorox cause I had algea and wanted to get rid of it fast,as I said before( swg did not work from out the box ,sent me a new one,and is working )so I kept adding a gallon a day of the clorox to keep the algea away . I get it now was just confussed, Clorox = chlorine no need to add clorox now . just still confussed on when to shock the pool, I am reading up on the pool school to better understand the whole process and how to keep my pool balanced.. Thanks will add more questions as I need them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have algae or cloudy water (usually indicating algae), then you need to go through the shock process ... usually with the SWG off, but not required except for the OCLT.

What is OCLT? This is what I am having trouble understanding on how to shock the pool? Do I have a chemical I have to buy? or can u explain in baby steps for me to understand how this is done. I read the school pool but I just cant understand what I have to do ...

Thanks , I am not putting the MA in the skimmer ,putting it where the return jet is going out,didnt what a chemical reaction with the swg making chlorine and adding MA at the same time . about got it all now Thanks so much for all your help Jasonlion and Jblizzle .Now just patiently adding MA to bring ph down to bring TA down and repeat and repeat .......... :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.