non-standard ways to increase pool aeration?

MattM

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2011
San Diego, CA
For pools that just need TA substantially reduced once/season, and w/o any other obvious/good sources of surface water airation, would an aerator/air pump generally designed for ponds work? I'm looking at the "Danner 04560 Pond Aeration Pump with Diffuser, 3600 Cubic Inch/Minute" on Amazon which seems to imply that it could inject quite a bit of air into the bottom of the pool using just itself and some cheap tubing.

Alternatively, I've looked at getting a high powered submersible water pump and connecting it to a hose and then to a standard spray nozel that I could somehow stabilize over the pool for a few weeks/year. However, the pumps tend to be more expensive and some of them have the potential to leak oil or could get corroded. The air pump seems more reliable and easier to take out/put in once each season.

I'm just not sure how much airation the pumps produce versus what is needed to substantially reduce TA.

Blowing small air bubbles through your pool water that have fairly long contact time with the water (start deep) and burst at the pool surface is a great way to raise ph! Someone posted using an air compressor with a soaker hose attached to it's output and submerged in their intex.

Do you have a spa? If I run 100% return to the spa and turn on the blower, I can shed 50ppm TA in 3 hours. The spa looks like it's boiling. Without the blower, I can lose 20 in 4 hours....which is why I reduced the flow to my spa and actually jammed a spraypaint cap over the air intake for the jets.

Without the spa, I think I'd make something out of PVC pipe and attach it to a return jet. Less expense, no maintenance. If it breaks or falls out, so what? Fish it out and try again. There are links to threads with some clever devices in this article. I imagine it wouldn't take much for children to develop some sort of game involving the new water feature.

no spa, we looked at our budget and decided an automatic safety cover + large solar heating installation were more important and had the PB remove the spa from the design we built from.
I am considering PVC pipe, but with a cover...it would have to be removed in any case and the focus here is just reducing TA substantially once/season.

Looking at air pumps, for not too much $.....there are models that will pump between 3K-9K cubic inches/minute of air into up to 18" wide weighted difusers connected by 5/8" - 1" tubing at depths up to 11ft. Just not sure of the noise and how effective they would be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.