Just got TF test kit, questions about CYA and results

Apr 11, 2008
Just tested today using my new TF kit:

FC - 1
CC - 0
TC - 1
pH - 7.8
TA - 90
CYA - looked straight down in tube, dot never went away, tested twice just in case, 0???
Salt - 3300

The pool is 15,000 gallons, gunite, built a little over a year ago. We are in Cocoa Beach, Florida. We have a Goldline Aqua-Rite SWG and a cartridge filter. The water looks clear. The chlorine has been testing at 0 with my old kit (4 test drop kit the builder supplied me with). I keep upping the SWG % but it hasn't had any effect on the chlorine level. It's at 80% now. I'm guessing that's because of the lack of stabilizer? Last summer I kept the SWG at 60% and the chlorine level was in the middle of the yellow color gradient, I don't know exactly what number, I just looked for the color to fall in the middle where they told me it should be. I took my water to be tested at a pool store the beginning of last summer and they told me to add stabilizer, I haven't added any since. What level should I keep the stablilizer at, 60-80?

Any other problems that you can see? The pH is a little high, I tested before I added acid. I usually add about 1 quart every 1-2 days, does this seem right? I try to aim for around 7.2, because I know it's always rising with the SWG. I don't have a pool service and have kept it up since we got it, but I had no idea there were more than 4 tests I should be doing! :shock: I'm so glad I found this forum, it has been very helpful just reading the posts so far. I'm really enjoying learning all about pool chemistry, I only wish I would have found you all last summer. Thanks for the help! :-D

Yes, you need to add some CYA/stabilizer. I would aim for CYA between 60 and 80. Without CYA the SWG can't keep up with the chlorine lost to sunlight. You probably had a reasonable CYA level last year and then had it all vanish over the winter, which happens sometimes.

JasonLion said:
You probably had a reasonable CYA level last year and then had it all vanish over the winter, which happens sometimes.
Hmm... how does that happen? I thought the only way for CYA level to drop was by removing water.

I just tested my water 3x, and it is showing 0 CYA. It was about 80 last time I checked (September 2007). Is there any possibility the CYA reagent has gone bad? Mine is about 9 months old.

I thought the only way for CYA level to drop was by removing water.
The other way is (and no one seems to know why this happens) in some badly neglected pools (like mine this winter) something "eats" the CYA and it opens to 0 in the Spring. I closed @ 50ppm, let my pool go untouched for about 6 months and opend to 0 CYA about 10 days ago.

duraleigh said:
I thought the only way for CYA level to drop was by removing water.
The other way is (and no one seems to know why this happens) in some badly neglected pools (like mine this winter) something "eats" the CYA and it opens to 0 in the Spring. I closed @ 50ppm, let my pool go untouched for about 6 months and opend to 0 CYA about 10 days ago.
Ah, yeah, that's me - badly neglected pool, looks like pea soup. Guess I should go buy some CYA.

Hey, schwim,

Yeah, I hated "fessing up" about the green pool but we all know it's our own fault. Only reason I replied back was to remind you not to put that CYA in there until you get the pea soup back to crystal clear.....I've been working on mine for over a week now but i am definitely in the home stretch.

Attachments

• PSW sweepstakes.jpg
    PSW sweepstakes.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 2
Hmm... really, leave the CYA out for now? I'm concerned about losing chlorine due to sunlight though.

I brought the FC level up to about 30 last night. The water is no longer green, just cloudy as I expected. FC was 0.2 this morning and CC was 0.4, so I added more chlorine to bring it up to about 9. In an hour, FC dropped to 6.2, CC to 0. The pool is in direct sunlight. Wouldn't CYA be beneficial at this point?

Wouldn't CYA be beneficial at this point?
You could put it in as long as you don't put it in thru the skimmer but hang it from a sock in some fashion. You still have organics in your water to deal with which is probably going to mean backwashing which would eliminate most of the CYA you put in the pool.

There's several ways to approach how to finish up your water but a complete set of test numbers would be helpful to give really accurate advice. We're really hijacking this thread so if you want to pursue, please start a new thread with the CYA question and a set of test results. I or someone else will be around to help you choose the best path.

Short answer....don't put the CYA in just yet but probably very soon.

EDIT: read the sticky about what info to put in your sig....that'll save a lot of back and forth Q&A. :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a throught write up on how to clean up a green pool in the spring. There are several ways to go re adding CYA now or later. I suggest adding 20 ppm of CYA now and more after cleaning up the algae. CYA of 20 will cut your sunlight loses dramatically without requiring extremely high FC levels to kill algae.

JasonLion said:
I have a throught write up on how to clean up a green pool in the spring. There are several ways to go re adding CYA now or later. I suggest adding 20 ppm of CYA now and more after cleaning up the algae. CYA of 20 will cut your sunlight loses dramatically without requiring extremely high FC levels to kill algae.
Perfect! I read it but completely missed the part about CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.