New Water - a few questions

May 17, 2012
Hi All,

I did an acid wash and now have a pool of new water. Jason answered a post earlier covering most of my questions, but I have a few follow ups before adding chems this evening.

I'm using a Taylor k-2006c kit, and I'm pretty confident in my results.

NEW WATER
* all I've done thus far is breakdown and cleaned the filter, powered it up, and added DE.
* here is my first run of test results:
PH: 8.0
TA: 120
CH: 130
CYA: 0
FC: 1.0
CC: 1.0
TC: 2.0

I have a 14,800 gallon IG plaster pool. The pool calculator is suggesting these additions:

PH: 24oz 31.5% muriatic acid
TA: nothing
CH: 285oz by weight of calcium chloride (where do I get this?)
CYA: 79 oz stabilizer
FC: 92 oz 6% bleach

Some questions:

1. does anything stand out as unusual with my test results and recommended chems?
2. nearly 18 lbs. of calcium chloride? Is that right? How the heck do I add that much? Where can I buy it - home depot?
3. 79oz of stabilizer? Again, this seems like a lot but maybe it's right to achieve 40ppm of CYA. How should I go about adding that much CYA at once considering how slow it dissolves? I do have some skimmer socks handy, but I have a hard time thinking a skimmer basket full of CYA for a week is a good idea. Help?
4. I'm going to adjust PH tonight, add about 2ppm's of chlorine (suggested amount is 61oz 6% bleach), and add half the suggested CYA. Tomorrow night I'll attempt to get my FC up to 4ppm. Once I get a reading of 20ppm CYA, I'll add the remaining CYA to hit my goal of 40ppm. Please let me know if that sounds like a reasonable plan.
5. My family would love to swim in the pool this weekend - are we dreaming or is this possible?

I appreciate any assistance or feedback. Thank you in advance!

Ron

1. Not really
2. Not sure ... I think it is the stuff used to de-ice sidewalks
3. That is the amount I get too. May not want to add it all at once if your pool volume is uncertain. Maybe shoot for 30ppm to start. Put it is a regular tube sock and either set it in the skimmer basket or hang it is front of a return nozzle ... then give it a few squeezes every time you walk by.
4. Good plan ... although still may want to try 30ppm as a target to see if you need to go to 40ppm (how sunny is your pool?)
5. The only odd thing is showing a CC of 1 ... keep an eye on this. Beyond that since it is new water I would think you could be swimming in a couple days (shoot I might be swimming now since it is fresh water). No need to wait to swim for all the CYA to be dissolved.

Thanks so much Jason - very helpful. I think I'll take your suggestion and shoot for 30ppm CYA since I can always increase it down the line. To answer you question, my pool is in the sun all day long. I live 10 miles inland in san diego which means 100 degree days are not atypical.

Also, the other Jason who answered my question this morning mentioned that some municipal water supplies use a type of CC for sanitation. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Maybe someone else can help me with:

2. nearly 18 lbs. of calcium chloride? Is that right? How the heck do I add that much? Where can I buy it - home depot?

Thanks again, Jason!

Ron

I did just see that about chloramides(?) for sanitation ... seems odd.

Being in the sun all day ... CYA of 40-50ppm may work better, but you can creep up on it.

Recommended Pool Chemicals mentions the stuff to use to raise CH and where you should be able to find it (might be harder in AZ and San Diego as we do not have much need for 40lb bags to melt ice off the sidewalk)

Good points and thanks again for the help.

I just read that calcium chloride is also used to clean up oil spills and can be found at Autozone, etc. Hopefully that works out - I will post back if successful.

Ok...I'm filling up my tube sock - Have a good one!

Ron

Also, in my ridiculous amount of water chemistry reading, I seem to remember something about bromine being able to change CC back into FC or something. Just wondering if that has something to do with it's existent in the water supply.

Please remember, I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about most of the time :)

Ron

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.