CYA Testing - Help! Cannot Get Correct Reading

Dec 9, 2011
I've been trying to perform a CYA test for my pool. I have added what I calculate to be a CYA=60 for my pool in stabilizer. My measurement reading at 30 CYA (minimum level) to not be quite there yet. (See attached image).

[attachment=1:130rbrc3]CYA Test at 30.JPG[/attachment:130rbrc3]

I also attached an image at 60 CYA mark, and the black dot is definitely visible.

[attachment=0:130rbrc3]CYA Test at 60.JPG[/attachment:130rbrc3]

Neither of the two images matches the the photos on the Taylor website. BTW, I took a sample to Leslie's and they measure 60.

What am I doing wrong? I followed all the instructions from my K2006 kit, to the Taylor website, and the couple posts here as well.
Shake wait 30 seconds. wait 30 seconds... wait 2 minutes. Hold at waste level under the patio and out in sunlight with back facing sun... Same result.

Attachments

• CYA Test at 30.JPG
    CYA Test at 30.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 52
  • CYA Test at 60.JPG
    CYA Test at 60.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 53
I have a 25,000 gallon pool which I drained and filled 2 months ago.

I added 4lbs of solid stabilizer immediately after filling.
Over the course of the last two months, I added 148oz of trichlor shock powder and 15 3-inch pucks. Both are left over from my ignorant days of listening to Leslie's Pool.
My FC has been between 4 - 6 and CC is 0. I currently experience a daily chlorine loss of about -1.25.

I use bleach daily.

Besides the occasional top off from evaporation, I have not filled the water more than normal.

My stats:

FC: 5.0
CC: 0.0
pH: 7.4
TA: 150
CYA: should be 60. I tested many times and do not have a confident level.

Re: CYA measuing

duraleigh said:
When did you put in the CYA? The test is not valid until 4-7 days have passed.
I added stabilizer power 2 months ago. I finished off 148 oz of trichlor shock powder about 1 month ago, and the last of the 15 trichlor puck just finished dissolving 2 days ago.

I have not done the math so there could be a calculation error.

The bigger point for now is to trust your own testing. If you can see the dot @ 60ppm, you don't have 60ppm and need to add some.

It sorta' looks to me like I can see the dot at (I assume) the 30ppm mark so you may not have 30, either. Even if we can't solve the mystery right now, you need to add enough CYA to get to 60ppm.

duraleigh said:
I have not done the math so there could be a calculation error.

The bigger point for now is to trust your own testing. If you can see the dot @ 60ppm, you don't have 60ppm and need to add some.

It sorta' looks to me like I can see the dot at (I assume) the 30ppm mark so you may not have 30, either. Even if we can't solve the mystery right now, you need to add enough CYA to get to 60ppm.

I used the pool calculator extensively.

Please help me do my math.

25,000 gallon pool

stabilizer 4lb = 4 * 16oz = 64oz = 19 CYA
trichlor powder = 148 oz = 25 CYA
trichlor tablets = 15 * 7 oz = 105 oz = 17 CYA

19 + 25 + 17 = 61 CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.