DE Filter Issue - Need Help

May 23, 2012
We have a DE filter, opened our pool and realized the pressure keeps getting too high. We pulled the "fingers" out and had them acid dipped. Reassembled the filter and still have the same problem. Within 10-15 minutes of backflushing the pool, the pressure is back up to 20%. We know it is not the lines because everything works properly on circulate. We have no clue what is wrong and cannot clean our pool until we get this straightened out, any ideas?

Welcome to TFP!

Are you sure the pool water isn't simply very dirty and the rapid accumulation of filtered debris is driving up the filter pressure? When the water hasn't been filtered in a while there can be quite a bit for the filter to do, possibly quite a few cycles of bumping/cleaning out the filter.

That is what I was thinking, but my husband says that there is something wrong because it rapidly increases. Is this situation considered "normal" when first opening the pool for the season. I forgot to mention that we have an inground pool

Is the pool dirty? My pool was so bad I was backwashing every 10 min. Then it went to 20. 45. Finally I am holding for a good 9 hours now and can leave it running while at work. Im hoping today when I get home the water will be crystal clear. It was clear this morning but should be crystal clear now. DE is great at cleaning but a pain in the butt because it gets dirty so quickly. Could be totally normal.

We have discovered a tear in one of the fingers of the filter. After speaking with several people, the filter is 9 or 10 years old and they have indicated that it is time to replace them. I think after we had the filter fingers acid dipped, it weakened the cloth further and when we put it back in the filter and ran it, it tore the material. New fingers on the way, should have in a couple days.....hopefully we can get up and running soon! Thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.