Throwing K-2006 test water back into the pool.

lalittle

Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I've always seen people do tests at the side of the pool and throw the tested water back into the pool, but I've read that you're not supposed to do this. It obviously makes sense that pouring the tested water and chemicals down a drain would be "best," but I'm still curious how much effect this practice can have on pool chemistry when doing the various tests with the Taylor K-2006 kit. It strikes me that I've never even seen any mention of this in the Taylor instructions, and I was always under the impression that this had a negligible effect on pool water. Are there certain tests in this kit that are worse than others when doing this?

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle said:
I've always seen people do tests at the side of the pool and throw the tested water back into the pool, but I've read that you're not supposed to do this. It obviously makes sense that pouring the tested water and chemicals down a drain would be "best," but I'm still curious how much effect this practice can have on pool chemistry when doing the various tests with the Taylor K-2006 kit. It strikes me that I've never even seen any mention of this in the Taylor instructions, and I was always under the impression that this had a negligible effect on pool water. Are there certain tests in this kit that are worse than others when doing this?

Thanks,

Larry

5. Do not dispose of solutions in pool or spa.

From K-2006 Test Kit instructions: http://www.taylortechnologies.com/products_instructions.asp?Type=Number&Number=5138

Durk said:

From K-2006 Test Kit instructions: http://www.taylortechnologies.com/products_instructions.asp?Type=Number&Number=5138

Ah -- I hadn't seen that. I don't remember seeing that precaution in the printed instructions, and after a cursory look just now, I still didn't see it in the booklet. It could still be in there somewhere, but it might just be in the online instructions.

Unfortunately, it's not easy to tell all that much from the msds sheets since they tend to deal with worst case scenarios rather than with "real world" exposure. I kind of doubt that most people use the recommended lab coat, gloves, and safety goggles when testing their FC levels.

Thanks again,

Larry

Why do it squatting uncomfortably? I use a chunk of PVC pipe as a giant pipette and fill a measuring cup with sample water. Then I carry it over to the patio table and run my tests at my leisure while sitting comfortably. The ashtray is optional, but having a smoke makes the CH test seem less lengthy.

Just be sure to keep the sample away from the coffee mug, they're easy to confuse when you aren't paying attention.

Richard320 said:
Why do it squatting uncomfortably? I use a chunk of PVC pipe as a giant pipette and fill a measuring cup with sample water.
And all this time I've been getting flat on the ground, reaching down into the pool as far as I can, getting my shirt all wet... This is genius!

Why do it on the patio table? Take the sample inside to a well lit room. I myself use a white poster board and test on that. The white makes it easy to see the color changes happen, and testing indoors will help the reagents last longer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cillovely said:
I test outdoors, too, but don't smoke. I just like to sit out on the patio near the pool. I have a white pad of paper that I use to write down my numbers and to see the pretty colors better.
I do the same - except I record everything in my iPad - which makes a great light box / white background for seeing the colors.

I always test IN the pool. If the weather is bad, I just guess. I've been at this long enough that I never have a problem. Being in the pool makes things a lot easier. I use the white plastic skimmer cover as a background. Then I chuck the used test solutions through the fence into the field, never in the pool.

lalittle said:
Durk said:

Ah -- I hadn't seen that. I don't remember seeing that precaution in the printed instructions, and after a cursory look just now, I still didn't see it in the booklet. It could still be in there somewhere, but it might just be in the online instructions.

Unfortunately, it's not easy to tell all that much from the msds sheets since they tend to deal with worst case scenarios rather than with "real world" exposure. I kind of doubt that most people use the recommended lab coat, gloves, and safety goggles when testing their FC levels.

Thanks again,

Larry

I just got back from testing at the pool. You can find that sentence on the inside cover of your kit on the black stripe across the top. I took a quick look in the booklet and I don't think it's in there, but it is on the blue box.

So now the question is: How bad is it that I was tossing everything back in the pool for nearly a year? Is there any risk of the toxic chemicals building up over time, or do they dissipate/breakdown? Is it worth draining some amount and refilling in order to dilute what's there? I was doing this for quite a while (as I said, close to a year), but I simply have no point of reference for how potentially bad things could be at this point.

Thanks again,

Larry

I do the same - except I record everything in my iPad - which makes a great light box / white background for seeing the colors.
Do you use a specific app to keep track? I'd kind of like to do the same, since I have WiFi and can use the PoolCalc site on my iPad when I'm outside. (The app doesn't have very good reviews and doesn't retain the pool size, according to the reviews. :? )

Mike_k said:
Richard320 said:
Why do it squatting uncomfortably? I use a chunk of PVC pipe as a giant pipette and fill a measuring cup with sample water.
And all this time I've been getting flat on the ground, reaching down into the pool as far as I can, getting my shirt all wet... This is genius!
I'm 5' nothing and have to stand on tiptoe to shove my arm way down into the pool... I'm going to have to Bogart a length of DH's PVC for this purpose.

Hello all~~

I test year round. I take the sample from a sampling station on the equipment pad. All the testing gets done inside in the brightly lighted white kitchen, which gives me the same conditions day or night, sunny or raining....

The remains go down the drain with water running to dilute.

Lana

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.