Process of shocking

May 21, 2012
new york
Hello I'm new to the forum. I have a swg pool that measures 26x46. In ground vinyl siding. I have been shocking for a week and a half and have been testing in the morning and late evening. My FC is at 20 my Cc is at 0.5. Cya is at 40. I haven't added the salt yet or turned on my salt generator yet because of the algae problem. My question is how do I get the cya level to the recommended for swg pools. Which is 70. The pool is very clear now considering what it looked like. Thank you all

Welcome to the forum :wave:

You can add the salt anytime, but test the water before you add. The water will already have some salt in it.

Wait until you are completely done shocking before you add CYA.

See red lines in my sig.

Also I'm staying in the range of cya 40 and the shock FC is 20. Now being that I have a swg my range is suppose to be cya 70 shock FC and the shock FC should be at 28. When do I go to the target FC which is 5 according to the chart.

Mrgadget14 said:
Also I'm staying in the range of cya 40 and the shock FC is 20. Now being that I have a swg my range is suppose to be cya 70 shock FC and the shock FC should be at 28. When do I go to the target FC which is 5 according to the chart.
Best to foget about the SWG until you meet the three criteria to be done shocking (red lines in my sig). After that, you can let the FC drop down to maintenance level (5 ish), increase CYA to about 70, and dial in the SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah it sucks but I'm really learning what I should have learned 7 yrs ago when I got this pool. It s becoming annoying and fun at the same time thank god for people on this site that know what there talking about. The people in most pool places are clueless. Keep working on it we will get it right.

Mrgadget14 said:
845 am thursday FC stood at 15.5. Cc .5 and the pool is crystal clear. So what should be my next move. Check it again in the afternoon. See where the levels r. Ohh and also the ph was between 7.2&7.5
okay, looks like you have 2 out of the 3 requirements to be done shocking.

You need to pass the OCLT - described here: pool-school/overnight_fc_test

Hello. Thurs @730 pm my FC was 13.5 cc .5 ph 7.2. This morning fri @ 1:30 am when I got home from work FC 14 cc 0.5 ph 7.2. Now it down poured for a while. @9:25 am this Friday morning FC 12.5 cc 0.5 ph 7.2 TA 80 CH 280 and the cya was 40. I'm thinking I'm in the clear to boost up the cya and start adding my salt and turning on the swg. Any suggestions.

Mrgadget14 said:
Hello. Thurs @730 pm my FC was 13.5 cc .5 ph 7.2. This morning fri @ 1:30 am when I got home from work FC 14 cc 0.5 ph 7.2. Now it down poured for a while. @9:25 am this Friday morning FC 12.5 cc 0.5 ph 7.2 TA 80 CH 280 and the cya was 40. I'm thinking I'm in the clear to boost up the cya and start adding my salt and turning on the swg. Any suggestions.
What about part three of the shocking process - is the water clear? If it looks good, go for it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.