Have been considering the Liquidator

Sep 2, 2011
Nanty Glo, PA
I would like to semi-automate my pool chlorination especially for use during vacations. I researched the Liquidator last year and put it on my list to get this year. I wasn't sure if the 4 gallon version was large enough for me or not (I was leaning toward getting the 4 gallon unit). I understand that I would want the 3/8" upgrade kit. I'm trying to do this for as little money as possible, but yet get the best bang for the buck without having too much maintenance to do (occasional cleaning is ok). I want something reliable. I don't have many trees around so I don't have much of a problem with my skimmer getting full. As my signature shows, I have a 52" x 24' round pool with bottom main drains and 1HP Hayward pump with sand filter.

So I start looking into the Liquidator this year and can hardly find the 4 gallon unit anymore. I also read on the forum about problems with the Liquidator and people switching to peristaltic pumps (which I feared would be more difficult and expensive to install).

So should I continue with the Liquidator for my situation? Is the 4 gallon unit sufficient for me, or do I need the 8 gallon? (I'd like it to last at least 7 days on 6% bleach, but have a source for 10% liquid chlorine if I had to go that route for extended away time.) What are the downsides / troubles I could be looking at going with the Liquidator? What's the benefit moving to a peristaltic pump system? And would this make sense for me?

Thanks!
-Garry

Get the 8 gallon. Same footprint and double capacity. With an AG, you probably want the 3/8" upgrade to compensate for the low plumbing head you have.

One advantage the Liquidator has over direct liquid chlorine injection is that the tank hold the chlorine at pool water temperature to reduce breakdown. A pump will give you precise dosing even with varying pump speed, when the filter gets dirtier or water level rises etc., and you can get higher dose rates generally.

I've had a Liquidator for several years and am happy with it.

I used the LQ (liquidator) and it worked well except for the leaves I get everyday. You can read my story if you want to. If you don't have a big leaf problem and your skimmer stays relatively clean then it may be a good choice for you. The 8 gallon model will last you about 2 weeks per fill and I wouldn't even consider the 4 gallon model.

The only issue you may have with it is the fact that you have main drains and the skimmer. That means your suction head will be very low and the LQ doesn't like very low head installations. The way to overcome it is to close the suction valve to artificially increase the suction head. If you don't want to do that, I suggest looking at the peristaltic pump and tank. It's easy to install and it doesn't care what your head is.

Thanks for replies. I've read some more threads and priced the 8 gallon with 3/8" upgrade kit at $179.30 & free shipping at http://pstpoolsupplies.com/hasa-liquidator-updated.aspx. I read some of your story Bama Rambler, but it didn't push me toward the peristaltic pump (since I shouldn't have the leaf problem).

I didn't realize having the main drain was going to cause a problem (ie. the low head). Is there another way around this besides partially closing the valve? Is running with a partially closed valve a problem? Is the suction valve you refer to the one that is in front of my basket filter at the front of my pump motor - the 3 way (or is it 4 way?) valve that I use to switch between the main drain, the skimmer, both, or neither (ie. closed). I guess I could switch it to run through the skimmer only.

If I buy from the link above (8 gallon with 3/8" upgrade kit included) is there anything else I should plan to get with it (as far as mods/upgrades)? Or will this have everything I need?

Thanks!
Garry

Since you have a 3-way valve you can switch it to run off just the skimmer or MD, or whichever direction gives you the performance you need from the LQ.

If you buy the unit with the upgrade you shouldn't need anything else to get it going. I recommend the Hayward needle valve but it's strictly optional and more of a nicety than a necessity.

P.S. I wasn't rying to sway you one way or the other, just wanted you to have all the facts. :-D Who knows, I might switch to a swcg next year! :mrgreen:

Ok, that's what I wanted to hear! I saw some info. on the Hayward needle valve but figured it wasn't necessary to get started with. Does it just provide better control of flowrate? Or why are people switching to it?

I know a lot of people just like to move on to the next gadget and toy with it. Not me (at least not with the pool); I just want the pool up and running with as little attention from me as possible.

I am also planning on adding Borates to the pool and I understand that may help with running a Liquidator too.

-Garry

The needle valve just provides finer control of the flow that's all. It makes it nice because you're not trying to adjust the plug valve a minute amount to get the flow you want.

Yeah, I'm guilty of being "THE" gadget guy! Just ask my wife. I bought a radar pitching trainer to teach my grandson how to pitch and he's not even the starter! He's the first baseman.

garrybunk said:
Thanks for replies. I've read some more threads and priced the 8 gallon with 3/8" upgrade kit at $179.30 & free shipping at http://pstpoolsupplies.com/hasa-liquidator-updated.aspx. I read some of your story Bama Rambler, but it didn't push me toward the peristaltic pump (since I shouldn't have the leaf problem).

I didn't realize having the main drain was going to cause a problem (ie. the low head). Is there another way around this besides partially closing the valve? Is running with a partially closed valve a problem? Is the suction valve you refer to the one that is in front of my basket filter at the front of my pump motor - the 3 way (or is it 4 way?) valve that I use to switch between the main drain, the skimmer, both, or neither (ie. closed). I guess I could switch it to run through the skimmer only.

If I buy from the link above (8 gallon with 3/8" upgrade kit included) is there anything else I should plan to get with it (as far as mods/upgrades)? Or will this have everything I need?

Thanks!
Garry

Keep in mind the pump is about 280-300 shipped and a 15 gal drum is about 25 and a timer is around $25 (you may already have a timer). The liquidator will be about $200 with the needle valve etc.

Did you read about the white stuff problem people were having? For $125 more it seemed worth it to get the pump.

From what I remember hearing about the build up (white stuff) it was on the lq's that did not have the 3/8 upgrade.
I have the lq now and so far so good, I am still dialing it in but no issues to report.
It's easy to install just be careful not to install the flow control valve backwards, I did that and took me a couple of minutes to realize it was backwards lol! :)
Really up to you but If your going to invest that much into a pump and tank for ~200-300 more dollars you can go swcg

Yeah I saw some posts about "white stuff" and it seemed with the 3/8" upgrade and adding Borates (which I had planned to do anyhow) the issue seemed to go away (or at least wasn't severe). I'll continue with the Liquidator plan and give it a try.

Thanks,
Garry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.