Salt Water Pool & Correct start-up #'s

May 23, 2012
Hello,

I am new to owning a pool and to this discussion board. I have already found a large number of wonderful and helpful posts! Thank you!

Yesterday, I became very confused...
I did me research, found all the correct pool balancing #'s from the manuals that I received and bought a Taylor K-2005 test kit.

This is what the manuals told me was ideal:
Salt ppm: 3200
Free Chlorine: 1 to 3
pH: 7.2 to 7.8
Cyanuric Acid: 80 to 120
Total Alkalinity: 80 to 120
Calcium Hardness: 220 to 320

I tested to pool and here are my numbers:
Salt ppm: 3100
Free Chlorine: 5
pH: 7.0
Cyanuric Acid: 10
Total Alkalinity: 30
Calcium Hardness: 110

So, I figured my numbers are way off, so I went to a Leslie Pools in my area and had them test the water and point me in the right direction on what I need for my pool. Here are their numbers:

Salt ppm: 3600
Free Chlorine: 5
pH: 7.2
Cyanuric Acid: 10
Total Alkalinity: 50
Calcium Hardness: 100

What came next was a surprise... They (Leslie Pools) told me everything was great an I didn't need a thing! When I ran the numbers to check the saturation index I was -2.9! Should I be worried or will the pool self balance itself like the guy said.

Thank you in advanced.

Russ

Welcome to TFP!

You should take a look at our recommended levels, see the article in Pool School.

There are several different systems of pool care in the world, but I don't know of any system where you TA is good where it is. I wouldn't raise it very much, but do raise TA to at least 60, perhaps 70. Likewise, for use with a SWG you want your CYA between 70 and 80. Increasing your CH is also recommended, but not as important as the other two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.